Thread: Internet Explorer 8 32bit will not open but 64bit wont on Windows Vista 64 Bit

Internet Explorer 8 32bit will not open but 64bit wont on Windows Vista 64 Bit

I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium 64bit. On this system bith 32bit and 64bit Internet Explorer 8 are loaded. But I am unable to open any web page with the 32bit version of Internet Explorer 8, while 64bit Internet Explorer 8 works like a charm. What can be done of this 32bit version on Internet Explorer? Any way to repair it? I dont want to remove it if it works ok. This isn't a bug else microsoft wouldn't have bundled it with the OS on my HP laptop.

Re: Internet Explorer 8 32bit will not open but 64bit wont on Windows Vista 64 Bit

This was a bug in the early edition of Windows Vista's Internet Explorer 8. The error was then rectified by the following updates. Have you tried updating the internet explorer? There were many patches released later on. Also you can try to update windows, and it will download the updates for internet explorer as well. Or you can download windows vista service pack 2. This service pack has maximum number of bug fixes. If this doesn't help, feel free to post back. There were a lot of complaints about Windows Vista, during the early days of its release, but after the Service Pack 2 was released, things have smoothed a lot. So just try it out.

Re: Internet Explorer 8 32bit will not open but 64bit wont on Windows Vista 64 Bit

Check whether the issue that you are experiencing isn't caused by some corrupt system files Windows Vista may be using. Run System File Checker which will let you scan system files and replaces wrong versions of the system files or corrupts ones by using the correct versions.

Follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • Right-click on cmd from Programs list and click Run as administrator.
    • If prompted, type your password and click Continue
    • On command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

Code:
    sfc /scannow

Is there a way to change the default browser? Cause the main problem is i will use 64bit browser as it works, but if Internet Explorer is triggered by some other application, the 32bit version start automatically. Now this is what i don't want. Instead can i change the default internet explorer to the 64bit version and not the 32bit one. This may solve my problem. I forgot how to change default programs. I used to do it in windows xp. Meanwhile i'll try to find the way to change it. If anyone else knows it do post back. It will save some of my time. Thanks again!