Thread: DNS is not working perfectly

DNS is not working perfectly

I am facing problem with the internet connection. Actually thing is that I am having laptop that is running on windows XP home edition. I am also having two other computer systems that are functioning properly. I have fixed the IP address and also set the DNS Ethernet network between computer systems. On my laptop I am able to ping the livebox and the IP address of the site. But the problem is that if I trying to ping any other site then than it is not working. For your information I have disabled the firewall and also disable the antivirus software that I am having but then also I am not able to use internet on my laptop. If anyone has idea related to this problem, than please share your information.

Re: DNS is not working perfectly

You are saying that you have fixed your IP address. I think that the problem is related to that. I am not sure that this will solve the problem that you are facing, but you can try this. Try to enter the address of your live box in the Preferred DNS field. After doing that, in the admin interface of your livebox, you have to change the DNS server with your preferred choice. As I have said that I am not sure that your problem will be solved because currently I am not having complete knowledge about your problem. If you can provide more information then I can give you more reliable and preferable solution.

Recently I have setup a DNS server This DNS server is working correctly and managed IP-Adressen/Namen example, the following: 127.0.0.1 local host 192.168.200.1 srvdns 192.168.200.2 intranet 192.168.200.10 srv01. Most IP addresses show at the moment all on the same computer (the one I am currently also trying out everything) because I am just still expanding. Now I have the following phenomenon: In a DOS box I run nslookup and search for "intranet". I get promt "192.168.200.2". The DNS server will note the request in the log question; I worked for "localhost". I wonder sends to www.example.com, the DNS server the request on to my ISP. But in the DOS box type "ping intranet" eintippe, I get "unknown host" basis. The DNS server registered a Request. If I Ping to localhost, it works, the DNS server but gets back with nothing. When I wear in the DNS table but as a "127.0.0.1" and localhost" and then do a ping to yahoo site, it goes to 127.0.0.1 and it works. The file "hosts" in Windows/system32/drivers/etc I have renamed it. I just want to know why the local names are not resolved and why I am getting this error.

Before providing you any solution for the problem you are facing, I want to few thing from your side. This will help me to understand the problem that you are having. How does it look like the domain-specific configuration? Which domain (zone) is your responsibility and what is the Sambar DNS configuration on your Windows client? I am asking this because when you ping the system with the full domain name, not only by host name then it should not work in the way that you are explaining. Just let me know these things and I will definitely provide a solution for this problem.