Thread: Steps to change dynamic IP

Steps to change dynamic IP

I am having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on my desktop. I use private Torrent sites for downloading songs, movies because it is search engine that combines the result from dozens of torrent search engines. Torrent is a fast, free and powerful search engine. I regularly download and upload from internet but while downloading and uploading they don’t keep a record. Thus I want a solution that can convert my dynamic IP to static IP online.

Re: Steps to change dynamic IP

IP address is a unique number assigned to each host in the system. You can use the IP address to find any computer within a network. Internet service provider is a company that allows customer to access the internet. The ISP connect to customer by using protocol, dial-up, DSL, cable modem etc. Well there is no solution for converting dynamic IP to static IP online. For changing dynamic IP to static IP you need to contact your Internet service provider.

If you want to change your IP address then you need to follow the below given steps.
    1. Go to Start/Run.
    2. In the run window type “cmd” and hit the enter key. Now the MSDOS prompt will open.
    3. Type “ipconfig /release” and press the enter key. Then type exit command and press the enter key again.
    4. Right click on the My Network Places icon from the desktop and select its properties.
    5. Now a window of local area connection appears on the screen. Select properties by right clicking on local area network. Under the general tab select “Internet Protocol”.
    6. Select “Use the following IP address” from the general tab. Enter an IP address. After entering an IP address press tab button and subnet mask address will be automatically filled.
    7. Press the ok button and again press the ok button.
    8. Go the properties of local area connection. Go back to TCP/IP settings. Now you need to select "Obtain an IP address automatically". Press ok button and again press the ok button. Now you are having the new IP address.

I have taken an internet connection for surfing, downloading and playing games across the internet. I know how to change the IP address to static on windows platform. I want to know if it is possible to change the IP to static IP on Mac osx or Linux platform. If it is possible then I need a solution.

Changing IP to static IP on Linux platform is very easy. You need to follow the below steps to change it.
    You need to open the text editor in the Linux. For opening the text editor you need to have the root access.
    For user based operating system you need to type the below command
    Code:
    ~@domain $- chown
    For run levelbased operating system you need to type the below command
    Code:
    ~@Domain $-su - 
    Password: 
    Root@Domain $-
    The above command will open the file in the text editor without worrying about root or you can log into the system as the root, edit the files.
    Open the file /etc/resolv.conf and add some DNS address.
    Code:
    Nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - IP address of primary name server 
    Nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - IP address of secondary name server
    You can add many DNS address. Now you need to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and type the below configuration.
    Code:
    auto lo 
    iface lo inet loopback 
    auto eth0 
    iface eth0 inet static 
    address 208.88.34.106 
    netmask 255.255.255.248 
    broadcast 208.88.34.111 
    network 208.88.34.104 
    gateway 208.88.34.110
    After this step you have change your IP to static IP.

You can change your IP to static IP on the MAC osx by following the below steps
    • You need to select “System Preferences” which is situated in Mac dock.
    • After clicking a wizard will open. Click on “internet and wireless” option and select “Network” option.
    • Network window will open and then select location option. In the location option select edit location so that you can change your IP address.
    • Change the location to static IP and then select manual. The first option is configure IPV4 and then after selecting it a drop box will appear and then select manually.
    • Now add IP address to 198.168.1.112, Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0, Router to 198.168.1.1 and dns Server to 8.8.8.8.
    • Click on apply and save the settings. You are now having static IP and it will not change.