Thread: Hotmail sign in and instant messaging

Hotmail sign in and instant messaging

I use Windows Live Messenger on my Windows Vista computer for chatting purpose. Recently I have upgraded my Live messenger and since then I am unable to use it. If I go to Firefox and try to open hotmail account from there, I am able to view my mails and everything else on the email client but when I try to use the same email id to chat on Windows Live Messenger nothing happens. I don't even have any error message popup. Do you think this is happening because of my recent upgradation or is it related to something else?

Re: Hotmail sign in and instant messaging

If you are unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger then there are several reasons for this. May be the connection settings in WLM is restricting you from connecting to Windows Live ID or .NET Messenger Service. May be your firewall is set to block Messenger. To solve the problem of connection settings, go to Tools menu and click Options. Go to the Connection tab and click on Advanced Settings. In the Settings dialog box, tap on Test under HTTP. Click on Ok button thrice on each window that appears. The test result will tell you why you were not able to connect WLM. For the later one, that is firewall, go to MSN Web Messenger site. Select "Start MSN Web Messenger" and provide your username and password to sign in. If it went successful then it shows that something is blocking your messenger on your computer. Check Windows firewall or any third party firewall that may block your messenger to connect internet.

There are a lot of things that you can carry out to know the actual cause of this problem. First of all what is the email address that you are using? Did you got any error message? If you are unable to get any error message then also check Event Manager, what it is telling. What all things you have done before getting this problem and what happen if you undo that operation? Did you tried it in another browser (like in your case, other that Firefox)? What happens when you try to sign in Windows Live Messenger on another computer with different internet settings? Also try making a new account and then try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger to see if you are able to proceed.

This may happen if you have MyWebSearch Toolbar, Smiley Central, Messenger Plus, Kiwee Toolbar, Info Pen or MacroGaming SweetIM installed on your computer. Are you using any of this services? If yes then that may be causing you the problem. It has been observed that these services are not compatible with Windows Live Messenger. Uninstall it as soon as you find them on your computer. Go to Start, type "Control Appwiz.cpl" on Start Search box and then click OK. You will have a list of installed programs in front of you. Look for any of the above programs and then uninstall them. Reboot your computer. Try now to sign in to Windows Live Messenger once again.

This can also occur due to incorrect proxy settings on Windows Live Messenger. To check this, open Messenger. Go to Tools menu, and click Options. Click on Connection tab, and click Advanced Settings. Delete all the entries that comes under SOCKS. Click on OK and then OK once again. Also make sure Internet Explorer proxy settings are proper. To check this, go to Internet Explorer. Click on the Tools menu, and then select Internet Options. Click on the Connections tab, and then tap on LAN Settings button. Untick the Automatically detect settings check box. Tap on OK, and then OK once again.

It may occur if you have misconfigured registry settings. It may happen due to many reasons but however our main intention is to fix this problem rather than looking the cause of this problem. So to solve this problem open Windows Registry. For this, go to Start and type "regedit" in the Search box. Press Enter. Choose Windows Registry Editor in the list that appears. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\Policies entry. Right click on the registry key and select Delete. You may be asked to restart your computer. Follow the instruction and you can now try sign in to WLM.