Thread: How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

I am currently running Internet Explorer 7 on my computer with Windows XP installed. I would like to ask if I can go for Internet Explorer 9 on this computer? If yes then how will I be installing this newer version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP? Moreover, if some day I don't like it and would like to uninstall IE9 from my computer then would this be possible? How?

Re: How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

Yes you can install Internet Explorer 9 on your Windows XP computer. It really doesn't matter which version of IE you are currently running on your computer, you can by any time install the latest version of Internet Explorer. The procedure of installing the newer version of Internet Explorer is exactly same as installing any other applications on your computer. All you have to do is download the software on your computer or any other external media such as pen drive, cd/dvd, portable hard disk and run the setup. Once the installation is completed, you will find the software listed on your Add/Remove Programs list.

Here are the steps that you need to follow to install Internet Explorer 9:

1. Go to the Internet Explorer 9 page.
    2. Select your language. Choose your Windows operating system that you are running and finally click on Download button next to it.
    3. Click on Run in the File Download dialog box that appears.
    4. Click on Continue in the User Account Control dialog box.
    5. Choose any one of the following:
    • Restart now (recommended).
    • Restart later.

I don't think if it is possible to install Internet Explorer 9 on Windows XP computer. This is what I concluded from the system requirement of IE9 as per mentioned in Microsoft website. The Internet Explorer 9 OS requirements are:

• Windows Vista 32-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
    • Windows Vista 64-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
    • Windows 7 32-bit or higher
    • Windows 7 64-bit or higher
    • Windows Server 2008 32-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
    • Windows Server 2008 64-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher

However, if you are so eager to use this newer version of IE then it is recommended to upgrade your system to Windows Vista atleast or to Windows 7 (recommended because it is more stable then Vista).

Yes Windows Vista and Windows 7 is the prime requirement in order to run Internet Explorer 9 on your computer. However if you would like to uninstall this version of IE then follow the below instructions on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista computer:

1. Click on the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates.
    2. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    3. Click one of the following:
    • Restart now.
    • Restart later.

If you are running the latest version of Internet Explorer on your computer and would like to return to your previous version then here is a simple and easy way. All you need to do is go to the Start menu and type in "appwiz.cpl" in the search box. Press Enter to get the result. A window with the title "Programs and features" will open up. On the left side of the window, click on View installed updates option. Look for Windows Internet Explorer 9 item in the list. Select it, right click on it and click on Uninstall.