Thread: Technique to measure internet download

Technique to measure internet download

I want to know that how can I measure that how much I am downloading when I use internet. When provider says that your download limit is 3 gb or something else, What do they actually mean. Do they mean actual downloading or we can think like loading a movie on youtube and loading website count as downloads?

Now I am switching my internet to a 3gb monthly allowance. How can I measure my current usages to a fixed amount? Is there any software available on internet which can help me to do so?
    www.techarena.in

Re: Technique to measure internet download

You can view your account online. If you can then you should be able to track that amount. If you can’t then sorry to say you that I don’t know any such program which can count the download amount. If it is not viewable online then you have to just write it down every time you access the internet. I know that’s is not a satisfactory answer but that is the solution I can suggest right now. May be someone knows some program for that.

If you want to check your download limit, you need to check it with your internet service provider. When you get a internet connection in your computer, you are given a username and password and you can check your download limit by logging into your account with the user ID and password given. Or the simplest way is you can give then a call and tell then your registration number and they will tell you how much more you can download. If you want they will also tell you how to check it for yourself in future.

As you told that you have 3GB per month on your account. According to the term down means the amount of the data sent to you by the server regardless if it is from emails, pictures, webpages,files, streaming movies, files etc.

A3 GB per month is a low limit according to me. You should count your average daily internet uses before agreeing the terms. There is a small software called NetStat which is a freeware and it helps you to count amount of data you are actually moving on daily basis.

Yes, I agree that netstat is a good software to measure amount of data you download on daily basis. But one thing you should keep in mind while using NetStat that you should not exit out of the NetStat when you turn your computer off. If you do so then your bandwidth history will be reset and when next time you start your computer it will start counting from that point.

So please take care that you leave it in the tray at the bottom when shutting down the computer.

1. ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter . It is completely free. It will record your broadband usage. It is directly accessible form your computer. If you want you can exclude certain periods from being metered(for those with night download free). It is made specifically for BSNL broadband users.

Also check out for a software to automate the process of checking account usage from BSNL website.

2. Monitor your internet usage with NetWorx bandwidth meter.NetWorx is a simple and free, yet powerful tool that helps you objectively evaluate your bandwidth situation. You can use it to collect bandwidth usage data and measure the speed of your Internet or any other network connection. NetWorx can help you identify possible sources of network problems, ensure that you do not exceed the bandwidth limits specified by your ISP, or track down suspicious network activity characteristic of Trojan horses and hacker attacks.