Thread: New 5.2Ghz Chip by IBM

New 5.2Ghz Chip by IBM

IBM exposed additional details of its 5.2-GHz chip on Tuesday, the quickest microprocessor ever declared, the z196.it includes 1.4 billion transistors on a chip calculated 512 square millimeters made-up on 45-nm PD SOI technology.-It is having 4 cores, and every core has 6 RISC-like implementation units, with two integer units, 2 load-store units, 1 binary floating point unit and one decimal floating point unit.-Every core include 64KB L1 instruction cache, a 128KB L1 data cache, a 1.5MB private L2 cache per core and each –processor - shares 24MB of L3 cache, and a shared 196 MB L4 cache can also be included- The plan enable every processor to share cache across 2 SC chips, for a potential total of 192 MB of shared L4 cache. In whole, a z196 processor can have 376 MB CPU cache (L1 + L2 + L3 + L4) that it can address before drumming main memory! it looks sweet and everything on 45nm! Now, I just want an Intel or AMD chip that will do 5.2Ghz and not price tens of thousands of

Re: New 5.2Ghz Chip by IBM

Have you seen the thread on this over at xs? I simply ask because they have a group of photos in it that are looking cool. This thing is a giant; the MCM'ed product that is, took 1800W! And uses particular water-cooling. That is not an analysis; I think the cary-2 was completely sweet too. But I will want to try and place it under my desk in my home either. And you can gamble your sweet that if AMD or Intel thought there was a marketplace for x86 CPU’s that function at 5+ GHz while taking 1.8kW where the consumer will readily fork over >$10k per chip then you'd see such a SKU out there. But we have persuaded those guys that we will only by chips that use as much power as a light bulb, no hairdryer edition CPU’s allowed, so they are just following the dollars and we cannot blame them for it.

I gone to Google to know about it and had a look. And I also do not want to take 1800W part under my computer table desk. Then again I do not want to make my office warm and also do not want to use turn the heat to my house in winter vacation. It really kills me that CPU's function at 130w thermal envelopes. I signify, go and take a 130w light bulb and it will flame your hands. And just imagine that more power crowded in such a small place...hard to believe it will work sometimes. Maybe if GPU's continue to use up 200-250w of power and will continue pushing that envelope we will start thinking....160w CPUs are not so bad. I believe am just envious that these systems have as much cache as I have video card memory.

It’s really unbelievable that someone can build 1800W power in very small place. It will be very dangerous also. The normal CPU run at about 100W maximum or even nowadays they are starting to lunch cooler temperature like 90 or may 60W. This thing will use at least 10 times more power. To take it into perspective, the average oven device utilize about 1000W for heat. To make it cool this thing has got to be pretty great.

I cannot make any comments that it will be interesting or not to run this thing because I do not have extra money to water or burn. I just think that it will not be supportive for AMD or Intel to follow the same pattern. It will be very difficult to make it use in house use bcz the chip will use 1800W and the cooling system will also use some amount of power to make it in use. And the sound of cooling system will make sound like running a plane engine.

As you said above that it will also occupied power in cooling system because to make it cool we cannot use simple cooler fan. We have to apply some liquid nitrogen for cooling it and I do not think so that how many option we have to use such liquid nitrogen tech. and nowadays chips are use almost 200W though. Their MCM is not the MCM we know, it approximately looks like a freaking PCB! Maybe people will be fine with 1800W usage

People are thinking that this new chip will be very costly. Yes it will be cost but not at this high rate as people are thinking. It will be in range to buy for house. Actually every company especially IBM has some different management technology. IBM makes their Hardware sells at affordable price and they do not look for more profit from their hardware equipment. They make their hardware to support their high software, and they software sales are at high rate to earn millions of dollars. They earn their profit from software sales not from hardware sales