Thread: VNC Setup Help

VNC Setup Help

I want to use a VNC on a home LAN. VNC server should inaccessible to other computers online only for the LAN computers. so that I could run CPU for the intensive tasks, open and close shares, and still keep my main machine free. Is it Essential to use a spare computer for hard drive storage. Any suggestions? Could TightVNC be used this way? any help.

Re: VNC Setup Help

I think you should to use the tight VNC. You have this connection on the port as long as your firewall close to that port. If you're using the Java viewer. For a native viewer 5900 should sufficient. The server doesn't initiate any connections in the public version of VNC. You may not able to access it from outside you network.

You might look into ultra VNC or real VNC. Ultra VNC is free and might have some different features you could be interested. But today most modems and routers you get will run NAT as well as a firewall. So even if you did have the port open in your firewall it would still need to be directed to a computer to be accessible from the outside. So you shouldn't have to worry at all about that.

I will suggest you to go with the port 5900. As the port 5900 is the default port, so it would be best to change this for a start. As per my knowledge, after opening the port to the computer, I would use a firewall to block access from that port when its not being used. As port 5900 is the default port for VNC, so it is less secure than other ports. If you are going to VNC 5900 on your machine which exposed to the internet. Than i will recommend you to have a very good password. I mean you should have strong password to go here.

As you want to setup the VNC sever to your system you can go through these steps for VNC setup:
    • As from the root you should to start with this [root@bordeaux saini]# yum install vnc [Enter].
    • The default location of server configuration file for vncserver is ‘/etc/sysconfig/’ and to configure the resolution, user and port open ‘/etc/sysconfig/vncservers’ and add the following two lines:
      VNCSERVERS=":"
      VNCSERVERARGS[]="-geometry x <window Width>x<window Height
    • The user specific configuration files of vncviewer resides in ‘.vnc’ directory in user’s home directory.
    • vncpasswd’ issue this command command on a terminal/console for the user password.
    • Now to start vncserver, login as root you have to use ’service vncserver start’ command.