Thread: WIN7 and Live Mesh - Lock Symbol on Icons

WIN7 and Live Mesh - Lock Symbol on Icons

So I contain been using Live mesh in view of the fact that regarding day one on the entire my XP systems. So far by means of extremely superior luck. This weekend I encompass updated one of my most important systems to the Win7 RC - and placed it on my Mesh. The whole thing seems to be superior except I have at present noticed that a diminutive lock symbol is demonstrating up on some of the icons in the most important folder of the folders I have synced by means of my WIN7 apparatus. Has anybody else seen this or is it a known tribulations.

Re: WIN7 and Live Mesh - Lock Symbol on Icons

I consider it's a innovative characteristic of Windows 7 RC. If there is a lock icon, then the directory is not shared by means of anybody else. For illustration, your user folder might have a lock icon, saying that no additional user is capable to have right of entry it without administrator authorization. I do not be familiar with the additional symbols, other than I would guess a Earth would come into view for folders shared by means of everyone. Anyways, I do not imagine it be supposed to affect the synchronization by means of your other computers or Live Mesh.

I do not have right of entry to my Windows 7 apparatus right at present to make sure. Does it have an effect on several operability. What types of files are demonstrating the symbol. When you right hit it off the properties for the file, what do you observe on the Win7 box vs. a Vista or XP box for the similar file. I did not encompass a possibility to test it totally, but I was capable to edit a TXT file by means of the lock, and save it. I have not seen the change come from side to side on an additional apparatus though. I have in addition noticed this Windows 7 specific problem.

OK, I cleared out my disagreement via a Vista box and the word "Test" I added to the TXT file by means of a lock icon. That revolutionize seems to encompass been propagated to my additional apparatus. So, even although the icons the entire have a lock, they do not seem to be locked. I be able to edit them, and the changes are synced by means of additional apparatus. Does not seem to have an effect on functionality based on my limited test. I imagine it's a innovative characteristic of Windows 7 RC. If there is a lock icon, then the folder is not shared by means of anyone else. For illustration, your user folder might have a lock icon, saying that no additional user is capable to have right of entry it without administrator authorization. I do not be familiar with the additional symbols, other than I would guess a Earth would come into view for folders shared by means of everyone.

If this is the case then it does not create much sense on a shared database. The entire of the files in my "Household" folder that I share by means of my friend (via Mesh) have encompass and locks. I guess that almost certainly counts as Admin auth, additional than it might be confusing to the average user. I have the same opinion its definitely confusing - the first obsession I consideration when I saw it was admin to have right of entry or no access / read basically. Which is it seems that not true. I am running by means of virturalbox bootings from .iso files etc. I produced an .iso by means of "infrarecord" and might not observe the file when I tried to open it in "virtualbox". I become aware of the red lock near the icon.

I look forward to an disagreement that this runs as expected. Theoretically at the OS level, my friend cannot observe the files in that folder unless he's an Admin. Additional than he be able to observe them via Live Mesh for the reason that of our policy there. I wonder what would occur if my friend and I together placed the "Household" folder in our public documents. I would visualize things would be extremely well if I put a file in my Mesh folder, additional than later when my friend signs in and tries to synch, it might freak out when it observes that the file is previously there. Optimistically it's actually smart, notices that the files are the similar previously, and figures it does not necessitate to sync. That would save a diminutive space - I think they are currently each maintaining a copy of the folder in our "My Documents".

I consideration it was related for the reason that the user posts on top of illustrate the similar tribulations of not having right of entry to files by means of the lock icon appearing next to it. So far I have comprise and not been capable to locate several documentation on this characteristic or problem/solution(s) posted on windows 7 forums, consequently my post. My tribulations is not specific to Mesh additional than comparable in the fact that I cannot have right of entry my files (by means of lock icon under windows 7) unless I generate or copy them to the public folder.