Thread: How to get rid of error "a program has corrupted your default search provider"

How to get rid of error "a program has corrupted your default search provider"

Since installing Internet Explorer 8, every time you open a web page I have this message A computer program has corrupted the parameter of your search engine the default Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer reinstalled the parameter of your search engine of origin, Bing .Internet Explorer 8 now open Search Settings, where you can change it or install other search engines.

Re: How to get rid of error "a program has corrupted your default search provider"

First of all i would suggest you to uninstall the google toolbar and because sometimes this problem occurs because of google toolbar only this will help you to resolve this issue then finally you can try to change the default search page accordingly as you want manually by clicking the internet options from the tools menu then change your homepage as you wish then reinstall the google toolbar to resolve the issue.

Re: How to get rid of error "a program has corrupted your default search provider"

Sounds like I found a fix for those who have Oulook 2007, but this is not my case, I have Outlook Express. I wanted to ask the question on the Microsoft site, but an "Active X" is not allowed by Microsoft On their site Prevents the page from being displayed which is the main cause of the error message.

The search engine "bing.com" is the new Microsoft search engine. Normal it seeks to impose itself. So follow the instructions which are listed below
    1. Button "Tools" -> "Internet Options" -> Tab "General"
    2. In the "Search", click on the button "Settings"
    3. Search engines are displayed.
    4. To choose the search engine used by default:
    5. Right click on that of your choice -> "Default"
    6. If the item "Default" is grayed out, it is already well defined.
    7. You can also delete a search engine and change the order

Thanks for replying After reading the request for the "message of IE 8 at each opening a web page, I went to see how my PC was set on this point. I was surprised to see that Google appears twice. Should I delete one. This is perhaps not very important. I took the opportunity to check the "Prevent programs to suggest changes to my default search engine, which was not. Please help me...

Have you installed the Google toolbar This could explain the double registration. I can not inform you on this point because I am opponent of all bars of this type. I find them totally unnecessary and rather indiscreet. They were at most useful when the browser did not offer a search box (top right).

The right click is not the only way to access the configuration of a search engine. I forgot to say "current profile of creation". You can also click with the normal button (left) on a section of the list and work with the buttons that appear. Whether you click the right mouse button or left, you choose the search engine. Details will be displayed at the bottom of the panel.

Reset Live Search to Google and resolve ‘A program has corrupted your default search….

I know that there are many people still struggling with these issues?

This worked for me!

Reset Live Search:
    1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../default.mspx#
    2. Select “Google Google Web Search” from the ‘Web Search’ list on the left.
    3. In “Add Search Provider” dialog box: Check ‘Make this my default search provider’ & ‘Use search suggestions from this provider’. Then click on “Add”.
    4. Open the now famous ‘Live Search’ drop-down menu (To the right of the Spyglass) and you should now see ’Google’ added to your search options.
    5. From this drop-down menu select ‘Manage Search Providers’
    6. This opens ‘Manage Add-ons’. Select ‘Search Providers’ from list of “Add-on Types”.
    7. You should now see ‘Google’ added and enabled in the list of search providers; Click on Google and then click the ‘Set as default’ button. Google should now appear as your default search provider.
    8. Now close your browser and reopen it, checking to ensure that Google remains as your Default Search Provider.
    9. Now, if like me, you don’t want the dreaded ‘MS Live Search/Bing’ at all, you can repeat steps 4; 5 & 6. But this time ‘Right click’ on Live Search and select ‘Remove’

Job – Jobbed? Well nearly!

This resolved my inability to reset Live Search to Google on six accounts out of seven, over three machines, all running XP SP3 & IE8. However, in the remaining account I was still unable to make any changes to the ‘Live Search/Bing’ default search scenario and that account was also producing an error:
    “A Program on your computer has corrupted your default search setting for Internet Explorer.
    Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider.
    Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers.”

So, reluctant to go thru the ‘Open New Account process, on this account I carried out the recommended RegEdit as follows:

Close all open Internet Explorer windows. Change the following registry keys
    Note: Changing registry key can make your system unstable; make sure you create a backup of registry and save it.
    1. Click on Start -> Run, type regedit.exe and click OK.
    2. In the Registry editor, on the left pane locateHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    3. Add a new Expandable String value inside ‘User Shell Folders’ with a value name of AppData and a value data of %USERPROFILE%\Application Data.
    4. Close the registry editor and reboot the computer.

That did the trick and I was now able to complete steps 1 thru 9 of the ‘Reset Live Search’ procedure. I now have all seven accounts with ‘Google’ set as default Search Provider and the dreaded ‘Live Search/Bing’ removed.

(Sighs with relief and goes to bed) Another very late one!

Keep safe and be lucky.

Gerry.

Thanks Gerrysea, that was very kind of you to share your solution with every one of us. I also faced this problem and solved my issue by just uninstalling my Internet Browser and then downloading the latest available version of the browser and then installing it in my system. Make sure that you are downloading the setup file from the official website of that particular browser instead of downloading it from any random site. This will ensure that you are installing the right and corrupt free setup. After installation, just run the browser. As I am using IE 9, i went to option and selected my default search engine. This will install the necessary toolbar of your desired search engine in your browser. Thus solving your issue.