Thread: Firefox setup to use VPN connection

Firefox setup to use VPN connection

I am Looking for a secure way to remotely access files on another computer. Like for example the server of my company. For this the most obvious solution is to set up a virtual private network (VPN). But I had not worked on this before. I also find this flexible and efficient. I need help to use Firefox over the VPN Network. I have a additional router here which I configure for my setup. What are the limitation for this.

Re: Firefox setup to use VPN connection

First of you must have a good speed Internet connections for setting up the VPN network. Then you will need two identical routers with VPN support and a subscription to a dynamic DNS service. You can use DynDns for that. Your current routers do not support VPN likely. They must therefore be replaced by special routers with the ability to accept and establish VPN connections. I am using Linksys WRV54G.

Make sure to update the routers with the latest firmware so that they function normally. To create a VPN in the first router you must know the IP address of second router. vice versa. With a standard Internet package, your modem receives an IP address. This IP changes from time to time according to your Internet provider. This causes us a major problem because if the IP address of first route and that results in VPN collapse. To overcome this problem you can use a dynamic domain name.

A Dynamic domain name is the best option for you. I am using a similar service from DynDns. The package provides by the same is free and the dynamic DNS is automatically destroyed if not changed at least once by 35 days. Since your ISP can assign the same IP for several months, so you have to buy a upgrade to the package base . Therefore, the limit of 35 days will be removed.

Go to control panel of your account and then click on My Services. Then there add two new DNS in Host Level Services. That will be like a domain name. The default options are suitable to our needs. You have a dynamic DNS and now ensure that the DNS is permanently associated with the IP address of your modem. For changing the IP address, the router will modify the database DynDns and replace the old with the new IP.

For enabling the remote administration of routers you will need to activate the remote administration of routers. This will allow you to configure the router from anywhere and allow you to avoid travel in case of problems. In the control panel of the router, go in the Administration > Management. Then in the router control panel first change the subnet. Once the VPN is established, both networks will form virtually no one and therefore the two routers must not assign the same local IP addresses in the same place.

By default, the router assign IP addresses in the format 192.168.1.x. And in that place to the first router you can configure a IP addresses in the format 192.168. 75. X and same for the second router. For this in the router settings go to Setup > Basic Setup and adjust your Gateway IP. Your computer uses the old subnet so you does need to worry about any error. You must renew the IP addresses of workstations which goes in ipconfig > renew. in the control box.