Thread: SeaMonkey 2.0.5 and Windows Firewall

SeaMonkey 2.0.5 and Windows Firewall

I wanted to install SeaMonkey 2.0.5 on my computer but in doubt if I need to enter it in exception to avoid getting it blocked by Windows Firewall. Do I need to do that or it will work as normal irrespective of the Windows Firewall ON or OFF? Have you used SeaMonkey and had some kind of problem with your firewall or any antivirus software running on your computer? Please specify the reason for the same!

Re: SeaMonkey 2.0.5 and Windows Firewall

A firewall prevents the Internet connection to your computer (also knows as inbound connection) and programs from your computer utilizing the Internet ((also knows as outbound connection). You need to explicitly specify known programs to connect internet to talk with the outside world. So if you want to use SeaMonkey to connect the Internet you should add an exception.

I have never added an exception with the previous version of SeaMonkey. Do you want to say that I have to do so for 2.0.5 built? But the previous built was working absolutely fine without an exception. I also have Zone Alarm installed on my computer. I suppose it will not make a difference using both on the same computer.

Which operating system you are running? If you are on Windows XP, then just do not worry because Windows firewall will only stop the inbound requests whereas outbound requests are left unseen. Regarding Zone Alarm, I would prefer Comodo over it. It performs better when firewall is concerned. Moreover, disable Windows firewall if you have another firewall running on your computer, because running 2 firewalls on one computer may mess up your computer.

I have heard some mix comments regarding SeaMonkey but not sure about what version. It usually tends to do its operations quietly. This is not at all better for firewalls. This is because you will never come to know when it is stopping any application connecting to the internet. Comodo, on the contrary, tells you if it is blocking anything.