Thread: Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot on MacBook Pro

Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot on MacBook Pro

Help!

I'm having the black screen with blinking cursor whenever I try and boot up Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit thru Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. If i let it just sit there for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, it then goes to the Windows Boot Manager screen and allows me to click on Windows 7 and the it boots perfect. I've tried installing it twice, same thing. No problem booting OS X Snow Leo 10.6.3. Gott the right NVidia drivers installed, makes no difference. Have Paragon NTFS installed so I can get thru to NTFS partition from OS X. I badly need Windows too and don't wanna slow it down by running it in Parallels or VMWare Fusion. A little help?

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro 15" 4,1
    500GB HDD
    6GB DDR2 667
    NVidia GeForce 8600M GT
    Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit + SL 10.6.3
    'n00b' is just 'boon' spelled backwards. We all had to start somewhere.

Re: Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot on MacBook Pro

I think that to solve the blinking cursor screen you have to try restarting and holding the option key for few seconds untill you can see that the mouse appearing. After installation of Windows 7 Fully, again hold the option key down, and load MAC OS X, then in the system preferences you can select MAC OS X as your default. Note that if you get a Disk Read error then you will prolly need to format your drive with BootCamp again during Windows setup. You can also try to reset the PRAM by holding down option+command+P+R at the same time right after this and Windows finally booted from the install disc.

Re: Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot on MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    I think that to solve the blinking cursor screen you have to try restarting and holding the option key for few seconds untill you can see that the mouse appearing. After installation of Windows 7 Fully, again hold the option key down, and load MAC OS X, then in the system preferences you can select MAC OS X as your default. Note that if you get a Disk Read error then you will prolly need to format your drive with BootCamp again during Windows setup. You can also try to reset the PRAM by holding down option+command+P+R at the same time right after this and Windows finally booted from the install disc.
    I'm not getting it on the install; it's fully installed. I'm getting it on boot. If I hold the option key, sure I get to choose my OS, but makes no difference if I choose Windows. The black screen is still there for a minute or so before it boots.

i think that you are running a pirated version of Windows 7 because what I have heard that it stays at the blinking cursor for a bit as it's doing things in the background to bypass Windows 7 activation. Even though with the genuine copy you still get stuck minimaly at the blinking cursor as compared to the non genuine copy. Try to enable multi core booting in MSCONFIG or run something called A.I_7E.exe, thats all i can help you with.
    Nothing in life is garaunteed, except death.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerEyes View Post
    i think that you are running a pirated version of Windows 7 because what I have heard that it stays at the blinking cursor for a bit as it's doing things in the background to bypass Windows 7 activation. Even though with the genuine copy you still get stuck minimaly at the blinking cursor as compared to the non genuine copy. Try to enable multi core booting in MSCONFIG or run something called A.I_7E.exe, thats all i can help you with.
    What is A.I_7E.exe and where do I find it?

This was posted on another forums, so i dont know whether it works or not but you can give it a shot:

1. Download the program http://kok-chiwoo.textcube.com/326/a...I_7E.part1.rar
    http://kok-chiwoo.textcube.com/326/a...I_7E.part2.rar and extract it.
    2. Run the program.
    3. Choose "2. SLIC 2.1 Bios Install", then
    4. Choose "1. SLIC 2.1 Default", then
    5. Choose "3. SLIC 2.1 HIDDEN 2", then
    6. Choose "1. SLIC 2.1 HIDDEN 2".
    7. Done. You will be asked to reboot your system.

Fixed! And FYI it wasn't a pirated copy - just OEM one, which Bootcamp advise against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
    2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
    5. Click Repair your computer.
    6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
    Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    *Press ENTER after each command.*
    *Restart your computer.*

Done. Rockin'

YEAAAHHH!!!
    Thanks man...it worked with me as well...i've been trying to fix this problem for two weeks...and its just like what u 've said its the OEM.
    Anyway thanks a lot!

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

Hours of research and this worked like a piece-of-cake!
    Thank you very much!

I still face the same issue even after using the commands thru windows repair as suggested above.

Short version, it worked! (command prompt only...)
    THANK U, "ptolomy_was_right".
    Whole story, let my gaming computer sit for 4 mth's.
    Had to move...
    Got lazy and just used the laptop!
    Turned it on and all was fine! Microsoft wanted to update... I let it do all of them, bad idea.
    It wanted to reboot, I said no, later. 4 hours later I looked away from screen to answer a question. BAM! It rebooted when I wasn't looking, bastard! All seamed fine till it switched from bios screen to just before windows load screen.
    That screen always has a black screen with a flashing cursor at top left corner for 2 seconds. Then it drops 2-3 lines and flashes twice before, "Loading Windows" as normal.
    This time stayed THERE! I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot.
    Black screen stating, Case intrusion, fatal error, system halted.
    Bastard! (I built this system and have left switch in default non use)
    No Problem! I have a cloned drive!!!
    It doesn't have the most recent updates, YEAH!
    Switched them out and got a black screen and flashing cursor! Damit!
    Tried... checking case switch to still work right. checked fine
    New battery, no change.
    Did cmos pins, no change.
    Checked bios for all components to registrar in bios screens, fine.
    Pulled mem chips and reinstalled, no change.
    Pulled GPU's and reinstalled, no change.
    Checked PSU and,fine.
    Contacted MOBO site 4 help, they said bad MOBO!
    Bought another MOBO!
    Spent 4 hours dissembling and cleaning and reassembling...
    SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
    In the past I have had XP pro 32bit & 64bit & Vista do similar stuff.
    Each took different command prompts to fix MBR.
    Your new 3 part MBR fix worked!
    I tried every other choice on the disk first!
    All Hale the mighty "ptolomy_was_right"
    TanX alot!