Thread: Connect HUAWEI ETS1201 FWT modem

Connect HUAWEI ETS1201 FWT modem

Hi,
    I have a Huawei ETS1201 FWT modem. I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I am not able to install this modem on Ubuntu. I have activate internet as soon as possible. I had tried some settings which was given in Ubuntu manual but nothing works here. The internet is not working. I need help is settings up internet connection on Ubuntu system. What are steps should I carry out.

Re: Connect HUAWEI ETS1201 FWT modem

To getup a Internet connection you will need to first checkout the cable or dsl modem which must be authenticated by the ISP. Attach the modem and then run Firefox and access your router. You can in Firefox click on Edit > Preference and then click on Advance Category at the top right. Choose Network tab from here and then go to Settings > Connection Zone. In this click on Auto-Detect Proxy Settings.

First boot your system without turning on the modem and let your system stabilize for sometime. After that launch terminal from Applications > Accessories > Terminal and then type command dmesg. Here you can scroll down to check out that the modem is properly attached to the adapter. It is will show you usb 3410 1 port adapter is not attached to ttyUSB0. Just then type Isusb & then type ls /dev/ttyU /dev/ttyS /dev/ttyA.

You can try to change the DHCP to static ip for the Ubuntu system. For this you will have to launch sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces command from the terminal. Then there eth0 is our primary interface. Type auto eth0 & iface eth0 inet dhcp. As you can see the above two lines you can then change the static ip here. Type auto eth0 and iface eth0 inet static. Then type address 192.168.1.100, netmask 255.255.255.0, network 192.168.2.0, broadcast 192.168.2.255 and gateway 192.168.2.1. After this you will have to dns settigns in the resolv.conf file.

For basic internet support you need a default gateway with DNS address settins in the router. In most of the cases the routers are auto-configured and you can get internet access easily. the DHCP is normally set to enable on Ethernet device. This settings are default. This simply means that as your system is on the router asks for ip address, subnet mask and default gateway. So if this settings are not configured properly your net goes down.

It is very important that in such cases the first thing you will need to work on is the IP address which is assigned to the router. The most quicker way to fix this it open the Terminal. In terminal just type ifconfig. You can see some list of information where it shows you all details regarding your Ethernet Adapter settings. You can then troubleshoot your internet from here.