Thread: How to download Gmail messages on USB key

How to download Gmail messages on USB key

Hi, i am having a Gmail account where i receive around 50 to 60 professional emails daily, and offcourse they are very very important for me. I saw a person having all his email messages save in a small USB drive. Thats very impressive for me and i wish to have my messages saved like the same way, so that it can be safe and can be used anytime. So, i request you guys to please make me know how can i download my Gmail messages on USB key ?

Any help will be appreciated !!!

Re: How to download Gmail messages on USB key

To take your email wherever you go, sure you can download all your messages in a mail software on your computer or on a USB key. The free Thunderbird email program are such classic version for your computer and portable version that you can put on your USB drive. You can use Thunderbird to retrieve your messages on the Internet, while leaving a copy on your webmail.

You can access all your messages from the Internet, but also from your USB drive. Of course, this latest version contains all the messages until your last login. Our manipulations were made with Gmail, Google Mail. You can easily adapt it to other webmail (and also other messaging software: Outlook Express, Outlook, ...)

To take a copy of your messages anywhere with you, you can use the portable version of Thunderbird that you can put on your USB drive. So download and install it on your system. To install it properly, follow these steps:-

• Run the file once the download is complete.
    • Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
    • When choosing the installation folder, click the Browse button.
    • Select your USB key and then click the OK button.
    • Finally, click Install. Thunderbird is then copied to your USB drive.
    • Start Thunderbird by double clicking the file ThunderbirdPortable.exe located in the folder ThunderbirdPortable the USB key.

All Webmails default do not allow the downloading of messages from the POP. You must activate it manually, as is the case with Gmail. Log in to your account Gmail . Click Settings at top of any Gmail page. Click Forwarding and POP in the orange zone settings. Then select the option Enable POP for all mail.

Scroll When messages are accessed with POP and select the Archive copy of Gmail. Messages downloaded to your computer or your USB drive and will be automatically archived in Gmail. Then click the Save Changes button.

You must configure Thunderbird to retrieve email from your webmail. For the configuration of the same, go through this:
    1. In the wizard that appears in Thunderbird, select Email account and click Next.
    2. Enter your name and email address and then click Next. Then enter the address of your POP and SMTP mail server. This information is listed on the website of your email account. For Gmail, these are pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com addresses. Click Next.
    3. Check your connection information and click Next.
    4. Uncheck the Download messages now. Then click Finish.
    5. Pull down the Tools menu, Account Settings.
    6. Click Server Settings.
    7. Select the Use SSL secure connection.
    8. Then check the box Leave messages on server. All messages will be downloaded and not deleted from the webmail.
    9. Click OK.

In order to grab a copy of your mail on your USB drive, open the Thunderbird application that is installed on your system and click Meeting. Enter the password for your account. The emails are not downloaded back in Thunderbird. You can read whenever you like, even without an Internet connection. If you delete a message, it will always be present on the webmail.

The original messages are stored online on Gmail, under All Posts.