Thread: Mtnl Blocking Access to VoIP Services?

Mtnl Blocking Access to VoIP Services?

Hi,
    I am using a MTNL Broadband internet connection. I was using the same for voice call over yahoo messenger. But from last two days I am not able to chat on yahoo. I think my voip is blocked and the same is not working. I was trying to use some proxies but that was of no help. What is a proper solution for this. I heard that this is no legalize in some countries. I had tired skype also for that.

Re: Mtnl Blocking Access to VoIP Services?

You are blocked by a proxy or a firewall. Some websites are blocked like Msn, Yahoo, Skype does not work. With SurfNoLimit, you can use your favorite software and go on any website, regardless of the restrictions imposed on your local network. Well ask your network administrator to open it. Or if skype can connect via socks, ask him the name of socks server it eventually installed.

If these are the phone calls that interest you more than the fact that Skype uses VoIP software Betamax. Many countries prohibit VoIP. IP networks in these countries are monitored and do not allow the PC to Phone VoIP calls. The ports for VoIP are blocked by ISPs, such as the SIP port 5060. Betamax also has the option of voluntarily blocking addresses or entire ranges of IP addresses or user accounts in the case of fraudulent use of their service.

However, for the same country, depending on your IP address, or rather your internet access provider, you may be allowed or denied access to the VoIP service from Betamax. The reason for this is that some ISPs have blocked the use of Betamax VoIP services Betamax or by itself, or the port (SIP / VoIP) 5060 was directly blocked by your ISP (some countries).

It is a common issue where you are not the only one who is affected. There are several other users too who face similar issue. You can try other tools and software just for a testing. I am using Voip on my mtnl Internet from a long time. I had never faced this issue. The SIP port is responsible for the voip access and there you need to checkout weather it is not blocked. The port number is 5060.

Try a external VPN network for this. There are several available online. You can use the Voip adapter to access the Internet in that way. Try to use other voip software which is widely used and very effective. I think you have installed any new antivirus or security application which has blocked the ports due to which you are not able to access Voip service.

Does your ISP only block 5060 port or all UDP ports?

If not all UDP ports are blocked, try a SIP proxy. SIP messages will be sent to the proxy server first through ports which are not blocked and then be forwarded to VOIP service provider.

You may want to take a look of which can bypass the blocking of 5060 port. It also works well with end-users behind a NAT.

If your ISP does packet filtering and drop SIP messages, you need a VPN-based solution.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 08-08-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

Sorry, just found that i didn't leave any useful information in my last post.

Your ISP may block Yahoo messenger/MSN/Skype, try VOIP adapters (e.g., Linksys/Sipura/Grandstream ) or SIP softphones (e.g., Xten/SJphone) to make VOIP calls.

If your ISP blocks 5060 port, you can use a SIP Outbound Proxy Server to bypass the blocking. Take a look of sippp.com. SIP messages will be first sent to the proxy server via unblocking ports, such as 80, 135, 1433 ane etc, and then be forwarded to your VOIP service provider. It was free, but not any more. It costs about $5 or $6 per month. They provide 7-day free trial.

If your ISP does packet filtering and drops all SIP messages, Outbound Proxy Server can not help you. You have to use VPN-based solution. You may find some free ones on Internet. For paid service, I recommend vpn4sip.com

Hope it helps.

ChyrillStucker Guest

Hi there,

Please tell me if you are calling India to India. Calling from India through VOIP is not legal. And many ISPs block it. It may also be an issue of Bandwidth as well. You may check with your ISP as well. Skype to Skype call is not illegal as far as I know. Or you can check different VOIP providers, it may be helpful for you.