Thread: Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect

Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect

I have installed Avast 5.0.396 Free on Vista64. There are three email accounts, I have right now, 2 IMAP SSL (993), 1 IMAP non-SSL (143). In Thunderbird 3.0.1, the SSL accounts connect perfectly but in case of non-SSL account not doing like that. If I am going to disable the email shield, the non-SSL account connects and at the time of re-enabling the shield, it stays connected, checks for new messages etc.

In the mail log, when I started Thunderbird, I got the following:
    1/31/2010 3:12:54 PM 000013A0: Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 10054
    1/31/2010 3:13:39 PM 00001020: Cannot establish SSL, SSL_connect error 38

Any help and information would be irately appreciated. Thanks

The error that you have specified here is seemed as very close to the connection establishment error. 10054 error indicates that the connection was forcefully reset, commonly by the router or some another network device. If it's reset,there are several reasons why it might be reset. The issue that you specified above neither should nor should not resulting in a 10054 error.

I also running with 5 email accounts with my ISP and no one is working but I also have added my task pop3 server and that doesn't occur any issue to downloading mail from that server. The avast 5 installation also blocked newsgroup traffic as well ... both email and newsgroup services are NOT SSL and are running on standard ports.

Then I decided to uninstalled the avast 5 and then after everything going to normal and well manner. I think ,you need to also do the same . Try out man..

Hello friend,

Recently,I upgraded Avast on two different computers with Thunderbird 3, and I am sure about there is any issue like that. Avast will allow TB3 to be in function if you destroy the account from the SSL Accounts list in the Mail Shield Expert settings, but will then add it back in. The task has been done properly it has been fixed.

email account and non-SSL can't connect

Which one OS and Firewall you are using and in which state it is currently configured. You have to provide some information about your system configurations and your ISP and what your TB setup looks like.

I use TB 2.23 with IMAP, POP, SMTP for a couple of different mail systems without any issues. Have also used 3.01, Does your ISP use SSL or TLS and what ports are configured ? The primary suggestion is that turn SSL/TLS off in TB, use 143 for IMAP, 110 for POP, 587 for SMTP.? And about the newsgroups, how do you have your newsreader configured?
    Last edited by deveritt; 11-04-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Re: Avast 5 - email account, non-SSL, can't connect

hi. I checked my mails just a few hours ago and everything was OK, but right now, I receive the SSL error:

Error de servidor: 0x800CCC90
    Respuesta del servidor: -ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 200.58.112.12:995, SSL_connect error 10054
    Servidor: 'mail.fwall.com.ar'
    Id. de error de Windows Live Mail: 0x800CCC90
    Protocolo: POP3
    Puerto: 110
    Seguridad (SSL): No
    Windows 7 64 bits and Live Mail in spanish, but you can see the message. If I disable Avast 5, I can check my POP3 mails.

I have no trouble with hotmail, yahoo or gmail.

What can I do?

Thanks.

This might be due because the Outlook Express POP3 client is not able to access the mailbox because it does not exist or there is a custom recipient in the Exchange Server organization that has the same alias as you do, and Exchange Server is attempting to access the custom recipient before accessing your mailbox.

In this situation try using Clear Text in Outlook Express, which is the Log on using option under the Servers tab of the mail account.

To do so:

• On the Tools menu, click Accounts. This will bring up several tabs.
    • If you select any listed mail account, the properties will have a Servers tab with the Log on using option.
    • Select the Clear Text option.

If this works, then you were trying to access a non-existent mailbox or the wrong mailbox. If this does not work, then the administrator needs to check for and remove the custom recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by alfahad View Post
    This might be due because the Outlook Express POP3 client is not able to access the mailbox because it does not exist or there is a custom recipient in the Exchange Server organization that has the same alias as you do, and Exchange Server is attempting to access the custom recipient before accessing your mailbox.

In this situation try using Clear Text in Outlook Express, which is the Log on using option under the Servers tab of the mail account.

To do so:

• On the Tools menu, click Accounts. This will bring up several tabs.
    • If you select any listed mail account, the properties will have a Servers tab with the Log on using option.
    • Select the Clear Text option.

If this works, then you were trying to access a non-existent mailbox or the wrong mailbox. If this does not work, then the administrator needs to check for and remove the custom recipient.
    Hi, thanks. I use Windows Live Mail (Outlook Express don't work on W7) but I suppose this is the same.

I have the option checked since I created the account. I suppose the avast people actualized something just yesterday. I've checked my mails in the morning and I couldn't check it in the afternoon. I haven't modified anything.

Thanks.