Thread: Google Chrome cannot download any files

Google Chrome cannot download any files

Hello friends, I am facing this very unusual problem with Google chrome which is installed on my computer. I have a HP laptop which is installed with Windows Xp on it. The laptop accesses internet by connecting to Linksys wireless router. The problem is I cannot download files using Google chrome. Whenever I click on files which are to be downloaded, the browser shows that the file is getting downloaded, but after sometime the download procedure terminates. So if anybody knows why Google Chrome cannot download any files then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue.

Re: Google Chrome cannot download any files

It is possible that the version of the browser installed on your laptop is corrupt due to which you are not able to download any files from Internet. All the applications have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the application gets corrupt then the application will not work properly. The only solution to this problem is to replace the files of the browser which are corrupt. Once the files which are corrupt are replaced you will not face the same problem. Remove the application and delete all the files/keys related to the application from the computer. Once all the traces of the application are removed from the computer, reinstall the application again.

There are many browsers available online which can be used instead of Google chrome. Mozilla firefox, Internet explorer 8, Safari, Opera etc are few of them. All the mentioned browsers have more or less similar features like Google chrome and hence can be used without any problems instead of google chrome. Download one of the mentioned browser and then install it on the computer. Open the new browser and check if you are able to download any files from the internet or not.

Scan the computer with some updated antivirus as there is high possibility that the computer is infected with some kind of virus. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain website or while downloading certain data from the Internet. If a virus gets downloaded on the computer, it tries to link with the files of the applications which are frequently used by the user. If such a situation occurs then the application which is corrupted will not work properly. Therefore scan the computer with antivirus and check the files which are infected. Try to repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then see if the browser is working properly or not.

Check the configuration of the router as it is possible that the computer is getting disconnected momentarily from the network while downloading. As the computer is connected to the router using Wifi, it is possible that the computer is losing internet connectivity due to which the download is getting canceled. This happens only when the router is not configured properly. Therefore login to the router and open the configuration page. Check if the wireless connection is working properly on the router. You can disable and enable the WLAN on the router just to be sure. If there are any changes made then save the configuration and reboot the router.

Are their any add-on/applications which are installed on the browser. Sometimes the files of the add-on/application is corrupt. If such corrupt application/add-on is installed on the browser, then it will corrupt the files of the browser. If the files of the browser also gets corrupt then the browser will not work properly. Try disabling the add-on/applications on the browser and then check if you are able to download the files. If after disabling all the add-on/application on the browser, if the browser works properly then find and remove the add-on/application which is creating problems.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain