Thread: Mozilla firefox reports certain website as unsafe

Mozilla firefox reports certain website as unsafe

Whenever I try to visit certain websites like gotfrag, Mozilla firefox reports the website as unsafe. The computer which I am using is using Windows XP as the operating system and has Norton security software's installed on it to protect it from virus. Still I dont know why Mozilla firefox reports certain website as unsafe when I try to visit them. Are the norton applications blocking the websites? Or is my computer infected by some virus? Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Mozilla firefox reports certain website as unsafe

Try using some other browser and see if you are able to visit the websites which are blocked by the Firefox. There are many browsers which are available which can be used instead of the firefox. Google chrome, Safari and opera are few of the browsers which are available online. All the mentioned browsers have more or less same features and hence can be used instead of Firefox. Download and install one of the mentioned browser and then see if the websites which are blocked by the firefox are accessible on the new browser or not.

Are there any add-on or any 3rd party application installed on the browser? If yes then it could be the cause of the problem. Sometimes the files of the add-on or the application are corrupt. If such corrupt application or add-on is installed on the browser, then the installed application will also corrupt the files of the browser which may lead to the problems which are similar to the problems which you are facing. To be sure if the problem is due to the installed application or add-on, start the browser in safe mode. To start the browser in safe mode, type "firefox.exe/safe mode" in run tab. In safe mode all the applications and the add-ons which are installed on the browser get disabled hence if the browser works properly in safe mode, then find and remove the application which is creating problems.

It is possible that the security software which you have installed on the computer is blocking the website and hence firefox is unable to display the website. The security software's like firewall and antivirus block the unknown traffic emerging or coming to the computer. Due to this policy of the security software's sometimes the traffic desired by the user is also blocked. Therefore try disabling the installed security software and then see if you are able to visit all the websites or not. You can also try and move the process of the browser to the trusted applications list of the security software's.

I am not sure what is causing the problem in your browser but by looking at the symptoms it looks like it is a case of virus infection. Some virus must have got downloaded on your system which is creating such problems. Virus's have the tendency to link with the files of the applications which are frequently used by the user. If such a situation occurs then the application whose file is infected will not work properly. Therefore scan the system with some updated antivirus and check for the infected files. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then see if the browser is working properly.

The error which you are getting is not because of the Firefox but because of the website which you are trying to visit. If the website tries to install any application on the computer without any the users permission then google marks the website as the unsafe. To be able to visit the website using Mozilla firefox, open firefox and select tools. Select Internet options. Click on the security tab, and then remove the check mark from the option which says "Notifies me if the website is unsafe" and then apply the settings. Once done restart the browser and see if you are able to visit the website.