Thread: How to filter incoming messages in Gmail automatically

How to filter incoming messages in Gmail automatically

Hi, i have a very short query here and hope you guys can help me out for sure. I am using Gmail as my default mail client where i use to get around 100 emails daily. Some are useless of them but while sorting out it takes lots of time. While searching for some tip regarding the same, i found this Automatically filter messages sent in Thunderbird. So, i wanted to know is there any to Automatically filter all incoming emails in Gmail ? If yes , please let me know soon. Help appreciated.

Re: How to filter incoming messages in Gmail

A filter is an action that starts automatically before the message appears in your message list. Gmail lets you apply filters to messages you receive to perform a specific action, according to various criteria. Fortunately, Google also allows you to filter your messages on the following criteria:-
    • The sender,
    • The recipient,
    • The subject
    • A word in the message,
    • A word not present in the message,
    • With enclosure.

You can for example apply a label to all messages you receive one of your correspondents, automatically archive a newsletter, etc.. To do this, just go through these steps:-
    • Click the Settings menu.
    • Open the Filters tab.
    • Click on Create Filter.
    • Then set the criteria to be considered for the filter, the sender's name or such an expression is found in the message subject.
    • Click the Test button to display the filter for messages that match the criteria.
    • Click Next Step.
    • Then choose the action to apply to messages that match the criteria you've set, Apply label example.
    • Check the box Apply the filter to also ... conversations below to apply actions to messages matching the criteria that are defined in your inbox.
    • Finally, click on the Create Filter button.

And you are done!!

The filters allow you to automatically perform the following: a label, archive and delete messages, enable the tracking of your mail or forward, and even protect against spam, all using a combination of keywords, senders, recipients and more.Note that you can immediately test the relevance of your criteria by clicking the Test Search: Gmail will then display the list of e-mails that match your criteria. You can create an unlimited number of filters, but only 20 filters can provide for transfer to other addresses. You can optimize your transfer filtered combining filters that point to the same address.

Creating new filter is not a panic in Gmail. Just click Create a filter next to the Search button on the Web, on top of any Gmail page. Enter your filter criteria in the appropriate fields. Click Test Search to search for messages that match the criteria of your filters in your Gmail account. You can update your criteria and run another test search, or click Next Step.

Select one or more actions from the list. These actions will be applied to messages matching your filter criteria in order to display the list. For example, you can choose to Forward matching messages to a specific email address, then Delete the messages in question. If you want to apply this filter to messages already in Gmail, check Apply filter to x conversations below also. Click Create Filter.