Thread: Decreasing Download speed in Windows XP

Decreasing Download speed in Windows XP

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows 7. The desktop PC is connected to a broadband Internet connection which is provided by the Cable Modem. Recently I bought a new Asus laptop which is installed with Windows XP. I bought a Wireless router to share the connection between two computers. I have connected the router to the modem and enabled the Wlan feature. The Problem is Whenever I access Internet from the laptop, the download speed decreases. I cant figure out what the problem is as I dont have knowledge about networking. The router is Linksys. So if anybody is facing Decreasing Download speed in Windows XP then please share some information which will help me in solving the problem.

Re: Decreasing Download speed in Windows XP

Check if the router is configured properly or not? I suppose that the router which you have connected is configured by you and hence there must be certain settings missing which are creating problems while downloading the files. Log in to the router and go through the configuration of the network again. You can also try to disable the Wlan feature and then reboot the router. Once the router reboots it, log in to it again and then enable the Wlan and see if you face the same problem with the download speed or not.

Whenever Drivers of certain devices are not installed, the device does not work properly. Check if the drivers of the network adapter are installed properly and working properly. If the drivers are not installed properly then frequent disconnection problem will rise. To check if the drivers of the network adapter are installed properly and working, right click on My computer and select Manage. Now select Device manager and then click on the installed network adapter. If there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure. Also try to reinstall and update the drivers and see if it solves the problem or not.

Try doing a Full Power Cycle and then see if the same problem continues or not. Some times when the devices are connected to the network using Wireless connection, it does connect to the network but cannot use all the resources of the network. This problem is due to improper detection of the device which can be solved by doing a Full Power Cycle. To perform a Full Power Cycle :-
    1. Power down all the devices which are connected to the network.
    2. Disconnect all the connecting cables.
    3. Connect all the cables properly.
    4. Now first start the modem and let it stabilize.
    5. Once the modem stabilizes, power on the Router and let it stabilize.
    6. After router stabilizes, start the computer one by one.
    Hopefully doing a Full power cycle will solve the problem.

Are you using the Internet on both the computers at the same time? If yes then this could be the problem behind this. If same Internet connection is shared between two computers then the bandwidth of the connection is shared between two computers. Hence the same speed is not available on both computers. Check if there are any active download going on the desktop computer when the download speed on the laptop decreases. If there are any active download then disable them and check the performance when only laptop is connected to the network.

The Default Internet Protocol version of windows 7 is version 6 and the default version of IP in windows XP is version 4. As the broadband connection is connected to the Windows 7 computer, the network must be configured for IPV6 which must be creating problem with IPv4 of Windows XP. Disable the IPv6 support in Windows 7 and then check if the download speed decreases or not. To disable the IPv6 support, Go to TCP/IP utilities and then select properties. Now remove the Checkmark against IPv6 and save the settings. Reboot the system.

Scan the computer for any virus infections. It is possible that the computer is infected by some kind of Virus which is creating problems while downloading files. Scan the computer with an updated antivirus and then check for any infections. If there are any then repair or quarantine the file and then check the performance of the computer. Do not delete any files as it may create system failure.