Thread: How to work around suspicious e-mail messages

How to work around suspicious e-mail messages

Hi, i am a Windows XP user and use Outlook as my default mail client. From last few days i am getting lots of Phishing email message and am afraid that they can harm or damage my computer if there is any virus included. I really don't know what to do with these kinds of mails. Could you guys please make me know some tip that can help me to handle these suspicious e-mail messages ? Help appreciated.

Re: How to work around suspicious e-mail messages

Phishing emails are the kind of fraud using electronic mails and fraudulent websites to steal confidential data such as numbers, credit card, passwords, account numbers or other information. The very first thing to prevent yourself is to don't respond to this kind of messages. The links in phishing emails you often transfer on fake sites that prompt you to provide your personal or financial information to crooks. Avoid clicking a link in an email unless you are sure of the true target address or URL.

Most mail programs displays the actual target address of a link when you hover your mouse over the link. Before clicking a link, make sure to read the target address. If the mail appears to come from your bank but the target address is composed of a series of meaningless numbers, do not click the link.Make sure the spelling of words in the link is consistent with the expected site. Even if the message appears to come from a sender that you know and who you trust, please be more cautious when you open any mail. Fraudsters can easily steal identity information in an email.

Some sites display identity information and proven security. When you see a verified site using Internet Explorer 7, the address bar of the browser turns green and identity information appear to the right of the address bar. This facilitates the verification of identity information and ensures that the link is correct. Ensure security of the site before the visit. In Internet Explorer, you can be sure by checking the presence of a padlock icon in the status bar. Unfortunately, even the lock symbol can be faked.

To improve your safety, double-click the lock icon to display the security certificate for this site. The name following Issued by the reference must match the name of the site. If the name differs, you may find on a fake site or "counterfeit". In case of doubt about the legitimacy of the certificate will not provide any personal information. Stay safe and leave the site.

A common phishing technique is to open a separate window dummy when the mail recipient clicks on a link inside. To make the window even more convincing independent, it can receive over a window after a trusted site. Even if the window appears independent or official expressed confidence, avoid entering sensitive information, because it is impossible to verify the security certificate. Close pop-up windows by clicking on the red cross (X) in the upper right (a "Cancel" button will not work, perhaps not as you expect).

Phishing emails are really very dangerous for your personal information. If you need to update your account information or change your password, visit the website using your personal favorite or by typing the URL directly in your browser. I'll suggest you to use Internet Explorer as it include a set of features ever larger as the Phishing Filter Microsoft, designed to protect you when you click on links in emails.