Thread: Linksys WRT120N Router cannot connect to DNS server

Linksys WRT120N Router cannot connect to DNS server

I have a desktop computer which is running on the Windows XP service pack 2. I have an Internet connection connected to the computer via a router. The router is inturn connected to the cable modem. From past few days I am not able to access the Internet. Whenever I try to connect to Internet, I get an error message saying "Cannot connect to Primary DNS server". The router which I am using is Linksys WRT120N. As I am not that good at networking I am not able to figure out what the problem is. So if anybody knows Why my Linksys WRT120N Router cannot connect to DNS server, please share some information. Thanks in advance.

Re: Linksys WRT120N Router cannot connect to DNS server

Normally the DNS server problems are from the Internet service provider side and not from the customer side. Hence contact your Internet service provider and describe them the error you are getting. They will send some engineer or will help you in changing the configuration so that you are able to connect the DNS server without any problems.

Sometime it happens that the domain name server which you computer is used to connect is not responding and hence the computer is unable to establish the connection with it. Whenever such situation arises the computer displays the error message like the one you are receiving. The only way to solve the problem is to flush all the entries of the DNS from the computer so that the computer does not try to contact the DNS server which is not reponding. To flush the DNS entries and cache, Click on Start Menu and then select Run. In the Run tab, type "CMD". Now the command prompt window will open. In the Command prompt window type "ipconfig /flushdns". Now the Computer will flush the DNS cache and will display the message when the task is complete. Close the Command prompt and then try to connect to Internet.

Try resetting the router to default factory settings and then try to connect the router to internet. Sometimes the software on which the router works get stuck and the only way to bring the router out of the loop is to hardware reset the router. Hardware resetting the router means to restore the router to the factory settings. Find the Restore button on the router and then press it. Keep the button pressed for about 30 seconds and then release the button when all the LED's on the router start glowing. Release the button and then let the router reboot. Hopefully restoring the router to factory setting will solve the problem.

Log in to the router using the computer and then take a look at the configuration of the router. To log into the router you will require the default IP address of the router which can be found out from the user manual. Enter the Default IP address of the router into the address bar and hit enter. Now the system will prompt you for the username and the password. Enter the correct Username and password. Now the system will redirect you to the configuration page. Now change the Existing entries in DNS server column by new entries. New DNS Server can be found out by contacting ISP. Once the configuration is done, save the settings and exit the wizard. Now reboot the router. Now the router will not give error message.

You can try to update the firmware of the router and see if the problem persists. Many times the router are not able to handle the traffic if the firmware of the router gets outdated. Hence the firmware should be regularly to avoid any problems. To update the firmware, download the latest firmware which is supported by the model of the router you are using on some computer which has Internet connection. Once the firmware is downloaded, connect the router to the computer using a console cable and then update the firmware of the router. Once the firmware is updated, configure the router again and then reboot the router.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain