Thread: How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connection?

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connection?

I am trying to setup the TCP/IP connection but I am facing many problems related to it. I know that there are many tools available which can provide useful information. I want to know exactly which tools are available that can help me in troubleshooting TCP/IP connection. If there are any manual methods for doing this, I want to gain the knowledge about that also. Can anybody help me with this problem of troubleshooting TCP/IP connection?

Re: Basic tools

Basic tools which are available are Network Diagnostics in Help and Support, Network Connections folder, IPConfig command, Ping command.
    1. Network Diagnostics in Help and Support: This contains full information related to network configuration and also provide results of automated tests.
    2. Network Connections folder: This tool contains details and configuration for all network connections on the computer. For doing this user have to locate the Network Connections folder, Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections.
    3. IPConfig command: It displays current TCP/IP network configuration, updates, or releases, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) allocated leases, and display, register, or flush Domain Name System (DNS) names.
    4. Ping command: This command sends ICMP Echo Request messages to verify that TCP/IP is configured properly and a TCP/IP host is available.

Re: Manual method for troubleshooting

There are many troubleshooting methods but I like to prefer the IPConfig tool to verify the configuration. For using this tool you have go to Start > Run and then type cmd. Then you have to use “ipconfig” command to find the host computer configuration information. This information include IP address, subnet mask and the default gateway. You can review the IPConfig output to identify issues that exist in the computer network configuration. For example, if a computer is manually configured with an IP address that duplicates an existing IP address that is already detected, the subnet mask appears as 0.0.0.0.

If your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.

If your local IP address is returned as 0.0.0.0, the DHCP Media Sensing feature override turned on because the network adapter detected its lack of connection to a network, or TCP/IP detected an IP address that duplicates a manually configured IP address.

Re: Advance tools

There are many advance tools available for TCP/IP troubleshooting such as Hostname command, Nbtstat command, PathPing command, Route command, Tracert command. Now let us discuss one by one which tool is available for which purpose.
    1. Hostname command is used for displaying the name of the host computer.
    2. Nbtstat command is used for displaying the status of current NetBIOS over TCP/IP connections. Using this tool you can update the NetBIOS name cache.
    3. PathPing command displays the path of TCP/IP host and the packet losses along the way.
    4. Route command is used to check the IP routing table. This command can also used for adding or deleting IP routs.
    5. Tracert command used to display the paty of TCP/IP host.

Re: Automate this troubleshooting

The best way to trouble shoot the TCP/IP connection is to automate this trouble shooting process. User can do this by following these simple steps.
    Goto start and then click on Help and Support. Now you can follow the link Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, after that click on Network Diagnostics. Then you have to click on Scan your system. Now the network diagnostics will gather configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting. After the process is completed, find the items which are marked failed. User has to expand those categories and view the additional details. This information will be helpful to solve the problem.

I Need To Resolve This Scenario Help Please

who can help me to resolve this?
    troubleshooting scenario:

Description: GlobeAlert is a Globe Wireless product that meets the International Maritime Organization’s requirement for a Ship Security Alert System (SSAS) solution. It is basically a silent alarm system that can send a pre-configured message to email addresses and fax numbers.

The GlobeAlert software is installed on a Windows based PC and it uses the TCP/IP protocol. A CAT 5 network cable is connected to the PCs network card, the other end of the cable is connected to a network hub, and generally 2 numerical keypads are connected to the network hub. Each keypad has a power supply and a LED.

In the GlobeAlert software the following information is configured:
    1. The alert codes (1-4 numbers).
    2. The message and recipients assigned to the alert code.
    3. The IP address range for the keypads, the GlobeAlert software will attempt to assign IP addresses to the keypads when it starts up.

For this scenario the captain of a ship is contacting customer support and reporting an issue with the GlobeAlert system. The captain reports the alert code was pressed on the keypad but nobody on shore has confirmed receipt of the GlobeAlert/SSAS message. The captain states the communications to/from the ship are working normally.

Please write simple step by step instructions to the captain to help him troubleshoot the issue