Thread: Not able to select default download folder

Not able to select default download folder

From a long time,I was used to save all the files that I downloaded from the internet in the G drive of my system. There was no problem with it. But, now from a couple of weeks, the browser is not recognizing to save all the downloads in that particular file. Instead, it is selecting the default C drive for saving all the downloads, that is it is not able to select default download folder. I cannot understand why this problem is happening. I appreciate any solutions to this problem. My operating system is Windows XP SP3 and my browser is IE8.

Re: Not able to select default download folder

I guess that the browser is not able to select default download folder since it may the external drive that you have given the path for saving all the downloads. So, when you put the system to "sleep" or when it is not accessed for a while, the browser may not be able to access it. This may be the reason why it may not be able to find your external drive and the browser selects the default drive for storing all the downloads.

I suppose that the Windows user account that you may be using is may be a limited one due to which you are not able to select default download folder. Login to the Administrator mode and allow privileges for that particular account or better download using the Administrator account only. Inorder to login into the administrator account press CTRL+ALT+DEL while the startup screen comes and enter the password of that account. So, your problems may be probably solved.
    Last edited by Techno01; 05-01-2010 at 12:45 AM.

I want to thank you for your replies, but the problem is that the drive that I had set as the default download folder is not an external drive, but a drive on the system. Also, I am using the Admin account that has full rights. So, the question of the privileges does not come into picture. Please help me with this problem as I am still stuck with it having no idea what to do. Thank you once again in advance.

The Admin account that you have logged into may not be the main Administrator of the system. It may be a simple Windows user account that you may have created. There is always a default Administrator of the system and you can log into that account by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL when you start the system and get the startup screen. There you will have to set the rights for the user account you are using, which may solve the problem that you are having.

Hello there, I had the same problem as not able to select default download folder. So, what i did was I simply uninstalled the browser and then, restarted the computer. Then, I reinstalled the browser, after which I was able to select the destination folder for saving all the downloads. Then, I was able to get rid of the problems that I was having previously. I guess that you will have to do the same. Just dont forget to specify the path where you need to save all the downloaded files.