Thread: How to connect two computers to same internet connection?

How to connect two computers to same internet connection?

Guyz I have one computer which is connected to cable modem. I have recently bought another computer which i want to connect to same internet connections. I dont have enough idea of networking which would help me in connecting two computers to the same internet connection also i need to transfer the data among this two computers. Is there any possible way to make it work? Need help. Both the computers are running on Windows XP and have Realtek NIC card.
    Last edited by Aandaleeb151; 19-12-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Re: How to connect two computers to same internet connection?

I think the best solution to your problem would be contacting your service provider. I am sure that they must be having certain solutions by which you can use the same internet connections on number of computers. Also if you try to implement the solution by yourself then it may cost you more and may also result in the internet not working at all (i.e on both PC's).

To transfer data across two computers you dont need any switch, hub or router. Two computers can be connected to each other using a cross-over cable. Cross over cable is nothing but a ethernet cable whose both ends are reversed. Follow this colour code on one end.
    White/Green
    Green
    White/Orange
    Blue
    White/Blue
    Orange
    White/Brown
    Brown
    and on other end reverse the colour code. That is how you get an Cross over cable to connect two computers.

Just plugging in Cross-over cable wont connect two computers to transfer data. You will also need to configure your network card to connect it on LAN. To configure your network card then open Network connections-- Select Click on Local area network and go to properties--Now select TCP/Ip settings and Select Use the following IP address and Enter the IP address you want (Note for both pc's the ip address should be unique and in same domain.for eg 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4) After putting the Ip addresses save and exit.
    Now the two computers will be connected on lan but to share data you will need to put some files in shared folders. Also check for the permissions of the files shared.

Getting a Switch can solve all your problems. You can access internet on both the computers if you add a switch in your topology. This is how you to do it.
    1) Buy a 8 port switch.
    2) Connect both of your computer to switch using a CAT 5 ethernet cable to the respective ports.
    3)Connect the cable coming from the cable modem to one of the ports of the switch.
    By adding a switch, you can not only access internet on both computers but you will be able to transfer data among the two computers without any problems.

Ask your service provider to provide you with a wired or wireless router instead of a cable modem. A router has a WAN port to which you can connect the cable coming from the cable modem. It also has ethernet ports on which you will be able to connect both the computers. By this setup you will be able to access internet on both the pc's. If you get an Wireless router, (provided your comps support Wifi) then you just need to connect the cable from cable modem to the WAN port and the computers can access internet using Wifi

mickeyy Guest

This is exactly what a router and network address translation (NAT) is for!
    You run your Internet into a router. The router will assign all of the computers on your network a private internal IP address and forward all connection through your Internet connection device.