Thread: Firefox crashes when more than 5 windows opened

Firefox crashes when more than 5 windows opened

I have been using Mozilla firefox for a while now and was rarely facing problems with the browser crashing. Recently i have updated my mozilla firefox to a new version of 3.5.5 but now it frequently crashes when more than 20 tabs or 5 windows are opened. The configuration of my pc is 1.8 ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor with 1 gb ram. Is my configuration low to handle such operations with Mozilla firefox? Also sometimes it gives Run-time error message and along with it mozilla crash reporter pops up. Kindly suggest me some solution in this matter.

Re: Firefox crashes when more than 5 windows opened

This problem is because of the version of firefox i think. Many times the updates don't work properly and causes the browser to crash. Use some other browser for time being till new version of the firefox is available. As soon as the new version is available get your firefox updated and it will solve the issue hopefully.

Your system configuration can also be one of the reason that your browser is crashing. Does your browser crash when only 1 window is running? If not then the system memory is not enough for processing so many processes and hence the browser crashes. Increase your system memory which will enable you to open more tabs and windows without the browser crashing.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

As you were using the browser before without any problems, the issue is not with your hardware. The update process you did must have corrupted the files which is causing it to crash when you try to open more tabs or windows. Search for an update or a patch for your version online and install it to get the issue fixed.

You have not specified which operating system you are using, I assume that you are using Windows. Open firefox in safe mode to disable all extensions. After disabling all extensions of firefox, browse for a while and open as many tabs and windows as possible and check if the browser crashes. If it does not crash then the problem surely is with the extensions so track and find the extension which is causing the problem and uninstall it.

It can be due to various Add-ons which get installed during the updating process. Uninstall all the Add-ons and Check if the browser crashes after uninstalling the Add-ons. If it does then probably your entire installation is corrupted and you may need to uninstall and then reinstall a fresh copy of mozilla firefox again. Before uninstalling all the Add-ons and firefox, try to open it in safe mode by entering the following in the run tab "firefox.exe -safe-mode". After entering this command the browser will open with only basic needs without any add-ons or extensions which will help you check where the problem is.