Thread: How to use Gmail IMAP for Windows Mobile 6

How to use Gmail IMAP for Windows Mobile 6

Hi,, i am using Moto Q q9 Smartphone, since a long time with Windows Mobile 6. I have seen many people setting up their windows mobile with Gmail IMAP so that they can read their emails anywhere and anytime. Due to some reason, now a days i am not able to be connected to internet for lots of time and hence i too wanna setup Gmail IMAP with my Windows Mobile 6. Could you guys please make me know how to do that ? Thanks for all your kindness...

Re: How to use Gmail IMAP for Windows Mobile 6

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) lets you download messages from Gmail's servers onto your mobile device or computer and let you access those message even when you aren't connected to the Internet. In order to setup IMAP with your windows mobile 6, first of all you need to enable IMAP from your Gmail account's settings. To do so, just go through these steps:-

• Sign in to Gmail.
    • Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
    • Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
    • Select Enable IMAP.
    • Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.

Thats it.. Also remember that it's not possible to enable IMAP while using the basic HTML interface. Please use the standard view to see this option.

After enabling the IMAP from your Gmail account, you need to configure it for your Windows Mobile 6 device, to make it work properly. Here is how to do the same:-

• Open the Start menu and select Programs > Messaging > New E-mail Account.
    • Enter your Gmail address (including '@gmail.com') in the E-mail Address field*. Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com'.
    • * Windows Mobile 6.1 users: Enter an unintelligible email address (such as 'g@g') at this step. This will bypass the automatic configuration for POP access.
    • Uncheck the box that asks to get settings automatically from the Internet and select Next.
    • Select Internet e-mail as your email provider in the drop-down menu.
    • Enter your name as you want it to appear in sent emails.
    • Enter a descriptive name for the email account and select Next.
    • Enter 'imap.gmail.com' in the Incoming Mail Server field.
    • Select IMAP4 as the Account type from the drop-down menu and select Next.
    • Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
    • Select Next.
    • Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server field.
    • Make sure that the Outgoing server requires authentication box is checked.
    • Select the Advanced Server Settings link.
    • Make sure that the Require SSL box is checked for both incoming and outgoing emails.
    • Select The Internet as the network connection from the drop-down menu.
    • Select Done and then Next.
    • Select how often you want your phone to send/receive emails from the drop-down menu.
    • For more download options, select the Review all download settings link.
    • Select Finish.

All IMAP clients differ, and you can configure your mail client's settings to best suit your needs. IMAP supports both on-line and off-line modes of operation. E-mail clients using IMAP generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them. Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.

Thanks for the quick guide, mate. Thats is all i wanted to know. I'll try all these steps later today and will let you know if any problem occurs. Hope that work for me . Anyways, i appreciate your help..