Thread: LXDE Desktop Environment

LXDE Desktop Environment

LXDE Desktop Environment
    LXDE is a free desktop environment for Unix and other POSIX-compatible platforms such as Linux or BSD. The name LXDE stands for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment". LX also means Linux. LXDE has a nice interface and has all the necessary features and components. Working with LXDE is easy even for computer beginners and familiar users into proprietary systems. LXDE was created in 2006 by Taiwanese developers Hong Yen Jee aka PCMan to life and is due to its international community translates into many languages.

Some of the basic components of LXDE
    1) Pcmanfm - a slender, file manager, but has some nice features. He ruled as tabs, and what I like very much is the hotkey to open a shell in the current directory. The left panel you can switch between a tree or local view. You can also save bookmarks to specific paths that are then visible in the local view. However, the handling is sometimes a little getting used to and the drag and drop functionality is not necessarily so, as they expected.
    2) LXPanel - is responsible for the taskbar, or the panel. About right, it is configurable and there are several panel extensions that you can freely make the panel. How can save individual icons for frequently used programs, a start menu, the currently running programs, a pager for the virtual desktops, and much more.
    3) Lxsession Lite - is one of the two session manager, the other lxsession. However, I use either one, because I did not design the session so like.
    4) LXAppearance - is a simple configuration tool to select between different GTK + Window and icon themes, which are used by LXDE.
    5) GPicView is a simple image viewer. Nothing special, but it fulfills its purpose very well.
    6) Leafpad is a text editor. But why another text editor if you have vim?
    7) LXDE Common is probably the whole of glue code that holds everything together, among other things, there are probably some configuration files there.
    8) LXTerminal as the name suggests, a graphic terminal.There is otherwise not much to say except that it dominates tabs and currently has a small but annoying bug where command lines are too long
    9) Xarchiver is a graphical unpacking for all kinds of compression formats. Here LXDE has operated for Xfce, a different desktop environment.
    10) Conky a system monitor, which is embedded in the desktop background, then superimposed on any other programs.The display is completely configurable.

Re: LXDE Desktop Environment

Hi
    Thanks for sharing this topic with all of us. Normally I use the standard GNOME environment. I had tied the KDE environment too, its good but I was not comfortable with the environment. Now lets see how the LXDE environment look like. I have not yet tried it, but soon I will download it and try it. It is lightweight, so I think for low memory this is a good choice. Thanks again for sharing.