Thread: How to Disable Private Browsing in Safari

How to Disable Private Browsing in Safari

Hi,

Does anyone know how to (permanently) disable the private browsing on safari, in Windows XP? I was able to eliminate private browsing in Safari 3, but am unable to find a way to remove it from the version 4. I know how to do it on a Mac, but my computer right now is Windows XP.

Re: How to Disable Private Browsing in Safari

First download free Xcode application from apple, then follow the steps below :
    1. Go to the Applications folder in the Finder
    2. right mouse button, or Control + click the mouse on a button in Safari and choose "Show Package Contents"
    3. Go to the contents, then resources, then English.lproj folder.
    4. Double-click to open MainMenu.nib in interface builder
    5. look at the window with the Safari menu, click Safari to expand it, then click the menu item private browsing.
    6. hit the delete key and go!
    7. hit command + s to save, close interface builder if you want, and relaunch safari.

You're probably looking for the "Application Interface Builder" right? The application is in a folder of the developers, either in the Applications folder or the root level of your hard drive. In the folder of developers, there is another Applications folder, the interface must be there Builder.app.
    If they have nothing in the Developer folder, check if you have Xcode Tools installed. Installers can be in a folder in the Applications folder name. On the Xcode Tools folder for packages, double click on the "DeveloperTools.pkg"

Private Browsing in Safari simply stops save pages to the history and cache. As mentioned, there is nothing to stop you from deleting the history files and the cache manually. I think the best solution to this problem is not making changes to the UI.

I've downloaded xcode and have the steps for deleting private browsing but ive ran into a problem. When i try to open mainmenu nib with interface builder it says compiled nib can not open. I need help in breaking down the process on how to get past that part and open with interface builder? I found a step by step on mac osx hints but it doesnt make much sense!
    Last edited by jsc823ab; 16-11-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Maybe the download was corrupt. Try it again. It's seems that the compiled NIBs missed classes.nib and info.nib in its own package content. Maybe the version of XCode you are using predates the version used to make the file. You will need to upgrade your XCode.

Hi, You can do it simply by setting Safari as a disallowed application which is in parental controls for their account. And you can disable private browsing in your safari. Is it simple? All parents can monitor what info their kids searching on the internet. Similar facility is provided by apple. It allow the administrator to disable Resetting and Private browsing to some of the user accounts.

Please follow below procedure:

Right click on the Safari icon in Finder and select Show Package Contents>Select Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and then click on the MainMenu.nib file> Go tointerface Builder, select the window showing the Safari menu bar>Select the Safari menu, after that select the private browsing item and press delete.>Provide command-S to save the changes you made, then click on Close to close Interface Builder and after that restart Safari browser>Finally this removes the Private Browsing menu option which disable the private browsing in safari.

I hope this will definitely works for you.

I've tried these Steps multiple times, and a box pops up that says cant open with interface builder, builder can not open compiled nibs: try to open a source document instead of the compiled nib. Which I have no idea what this means. It was suggested i may need a new Xcode download but i just downloaded it like a week ago! any advice? Thanks

I just downloaded Xcode a week ago. the message that pops up when i try to open mainmenu.nib is "cant be opened with interface builder, builder cannot open compiled nibs: try opening source document instead of the compiled nib."

Enabling Private Browsing is extremely easy, simply go to the Safari menu and scroll down to Private Browsing. If you are the administrator, you can simply lock the user out of Safari so they are not able to use the browser. You need to follow the below steps mention.
    • Double click on MainMenu.nib to open it in interface builder
    • Look at the window with the safari menu, click on Safari to expand it, then click on the Private Browsing menu item.
    • Hit the delete key and it disappears.
    • Hit apple+s to save, close interface builder if you want, and relaunch safari.