Thread: Internet Explorer cannot download .exe File

Internet Explorer cannot download .exe File

I am the adminstrator of my computer and I am the only one who uses this machine. I think this has something to do with why I cannot download .exe files. The error I get when I use IE is "C:\Documents and Settings\Ameeryan\Desktop\xyz.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder. I am using xp pro and keep getting this message, current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

Re: Internet Explorer cannot download .exe File

Is it all .zip files and .exe files,or do you just get that warning when you're downloading from certain sites? Sometimes the index.dat file can become damaged. If this occurs, you'll have to delete the index.dat file and restart your computer. The error is generated when the file you are attempting to download no longer exists at the location to which the download link points.

You might be getting that warning if file download is set to disable in Internet Explorer, or perhaps if your security level is set to High. Try this, for Internet Explorer version 6:In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Option, click the Security Tab, highlight Internet with your mouse, then click Custom Level, scroll down to File Download, if it's set to Disable, set it to Enable, click OK, then 'Yes' to the prompt asking if you're sure you want to change your security settings for this zone, then Apply, and OK. Or,if your slider is set to High, you could just move it down to Medium, if you don't want the Internet Zone set to High.

It's possible the site's been removed the download link permanently. Check back every day or so to see if things are restored, and the file download link may work once the site reappears and also check if you were trying to download a file from a site that is in your Restricted Sites