Thread: How can i stop Firefox suggesting sites in the address bar

How can i stop Firefox suggesting sites in the address bar

Hi,, As you all know Firefox has the feature of Autocomplete ans suggest the websites to the user when he type any URL in its address bar. I am using Firefox 3.5, that is the latest release on my Windows Vista operating system. And i want to stop Firefox suggesting sites in the address bar without deleting history in Firefox as mentioned in this post How to Disable AutoComplete in Firefox ? .

The reason i don't want to delete the history is i need them but want to hide them from others. Is there any way i can do that ? Please reply.

Re: How can i stop Firefox suggesting sites in the address bar

There are many reason that make us prevent the autocomplete feature of Firefox, but doing that without deleting the history was very difficult because Firefox saves information entered in web page forms and the Search Bar in the history to make filling out forms and surfing faster. Anyways fortunately it is no more difficult. You can now easily stop Firefox suggesting sites in the address bar without deleting history with the help of a handy Firefox Add-on NotAwesome. As its name suggest this add-on prevent those websites from appearing in the awesome bar of Firefox which have been bookmarked and tagged with notawesome.

Firefox does not offer options to exclude specific websites from the search in the awesome bar. But this addon will hide any bookmarks tagged with "notawesome" from awesome bar searches. This way you can flag bookmarks you don't want to show up in the autocomplete part of the awesome bar. Additionally, this add-on provides a UI to make tagging these sites a bit easier.

This small handy add-on adds the option to exclude websites from the awesome bar’s search.It does this by filtering out those sites bookmarked and tagged with notawesome been. Any reference to that mark will not be captured during investigations into the Firefox awesome bar.After you install notawesome addon in firefox, then every time when you try to Bookmark a website in Firefox, an option will be displayed at the site to prevent or exclude in the address bar are displayed.