Thread: How to block MSN messenger using group policy

How to block MSN messenger using group policy

We are having Windows 2003 server at our office. I would like to block MSN messenger using Group Policy. Is this possible? Can you guide me how can I do so? I want it very soon because my boss says many of the staff members simply chat in office via MSN messenger and since it is the part of Windows installation we are unable to remove it. So is there some one who can help me?

Re: How to block MSN messenger using group policy

All you need is to use Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003. When you use the software restriction policies, you can define a default security level of Unrestricted or Disallowed for a Group Policy object (GPO) so that software is either allowed or not allowed to run by default. Just follow the below steps:

1. Click Start, go to Programs, then Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.
    2. In the console tree, expand Security Settings, and then expand Software Restriction Policies.

There is NO group policy that specifically blocks MSN instant messenger. Group policies works only for Windows messenger and not for any other software installed on your computer. I think you are confused between Windows Messenger and MSN messenger. Basically Windows Messenger comes with Windows installation whereas MSN messenger is a separate software which you need to install. However if you want to block MSN then block it from your firewall.

The above method will not work if a smart user changes the name of the exe file which your firewall will not be knowing it and thus it will allow the MSN messenger. The safest way to block MSN messenger is to uninstall it from your network and do not give users administrative privileges. You can even try to block it via port number.