Thread: No emails in archive folder in Outlook Express

No emails in archive folder in Outlook Express

I mails can't be seen in the archive files. I searched out for the mails but it was not in other folder also. It has just happen a time before. I have some very important information. I want to transfer every thing to my laptop. But if the mails are not there how I can view them. Even in the view and menu every thing is grayed out. One of my friend tried to copy the archives files of mails. When I run the outlook express the emails are not there. There were no mails in the archive folder of outlook express. How can I view the mails as they are already copied in my system. Or is any other proper way to move the mails from one system to another.

Re: No emails in archive folder in Outlook Express

I will recommend you to try the backup wizard in Outlook Express. There no issue of copy/pasting the archive files. This is an free ware and easy to use tool. Download Backup wizard on your desktop. Install it. Run the application. Select the options which you want to backup. It just backup your emails only. Save the backup file on the desktop. Copy it in a USB or via LAN to another system. Install the same backup application. And restore the file . Now when you will run the Outlook Express you can view your mails in inbox, outbox, sent, draft, etc.

It seems like that your system is being infected with virus. It better you must scan your system with an anti virus in safe mode. After scanning then reset the outlook views, toolbars, settings by reseting the content of outcmd.dat file. Search for outcmd.dat in the c drive of your windows. If you have XP on your system then the default path for the above location is C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Rename the file outcmd.dat to content.dat. Restart your outlook express. Now it will restore the view settings of your emails by which I believe you can view your disappeared mails.

There is an feature in Outlook Express which is called auto archive. If it is enabled it moves old mails into a different folder. To check weather if this is the issue go to Tools Menu > options > Other > AutoArchive and look in the settings. Disable or prolong the duration before the next auto archive and untick unwanted settings. This box will also show you were the moved folders are located. It is also possible that due to virus your mail folder is damaged. The mail folder is in .dbx format. Now check in the message rule settings in tools menu under message rule > mail. If is set to delete mails automatically when the inbox is filled then your mails are gone.