Thread: Unsecured broadcasting safe or threat

Unsecured broadcasting safe or threat

Hi,
    Some days before my laptop was detecting a unsecured netgear broadcasting. I think it was of my neighbour. I tried to access the internet through that signal but webpages were not working. I was getting signal but internet was dead. So, I want to ask weather a unsecured connection is safe to use or it is threat. What if I am using a unsecured wi-fi. Can any one hack my system and hurt my system. Is there a way to use the unsecured wi-fi connections for net surfing.

Re: Unsecured broadcasting safe or threat

Unsecured wi-fi connection are a great threat to your security. Like any one can easily access system and steal your valuable data or password. Any hacker without your knowledge can clear up your hard disk and leave virus. People do take unsecured connection in wrong way. Though it is not chargeable but it is very risky. To access an unsecure connection you will need to shut off your firewall and other security services. According for a safety of your system and data you must not access to an unidentified connection.

Normally security experts will never advice you to access an unsecured connection. Update you system regularly. It fight against virus and malicious files from the internet. Now a days wifi is very common. But you don't know who is thinking what. An unsecured connection is same like a elder advice a child that never talk to strangers.

Basically it is your decision to accept the invitation of an unsecured connection. If you are enough smart to determine that how you can protect your system from any harm then you do anything. Other than this your firewall is tool which guard you against any unauthorized access. It blocks the incoming and gives a notification. If you turns off your firewall to enjoy a free benefit then you are putting your system to threats like, data loss, virus, etc. Think before you leap.