Thread: Images don't display in IE 8

Images don't display in IE 8

hi,
    I recently bought a new Dell Mini 10,installed internet explorer 8. it's not like they're not loading they just don't show. When i open a web page in mozilla firefox and save it on my computer and then open it on internet explorer, it does not show images. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and whether they know how to resolve it?

Re: Images don't display in IE 8

hi,
    maybe you have "loading images" turned off on internet explorer? in Tools > Internet Options, look at the advanced tab under the "multimedia" section and see if "show pictures" is checked.

All floated objects must have a width, especially in ie. in addition, check the container those floated images are in and set it to float, too (don't forget it's width).

May not solve the problem but it's a place to start.

Most probably this is DNS issue, to correct this problem you need to contact your Internet service provider to give you IP address(es) of there DNS server then go to control panel>>network connection, on the ethernet that is connected to net (either wired or wireless) right click properties, on Internet protocol version4, right click properties, then enter the DNS server IP address

This problem is very uncommon now, as most FTP clients will upload images automatically in the correct "mode". However, if you are using a text based FTP client or your client doesn't change the mode automatically, you should make sure that your images are uploaded in "binary" format (the other choice is ASCII).

IE 8 is giving many problems to users. I dont really think theres a problem in your pc. try using some other browser!

Quote Originally Posted by techguru01 View Post
    Most probably this is DNS issue, to correct this problem you need to contact your Internet service provider to give you IP address(es) of there DNS server then go to control panel>>network connection, on the ethernet that is connected to net (either wired or wireless) right click properties, on Internet protocol version4, right click properties, then enter the DNS server IP address
    Wrong.... if this was the case then he wouldn't be able to browse the Internet at all and nothing would work...

Quote Originally Posted by deveritt View Post
    This problem is very uncommon now, as most FTP clients will upload images automatically in the correct "mode". However, if you are using a text based FTP client or your client doesn't change the mode automatically, you should make sure that your images are uploaded in "binary" format (the other choice is ASCII).
    I don't think the guy asked about FTP. He is using a "web browser"

If you ahve tried all the other suggestions found by using Google to figure out why IE8 is not showing pictures, and it still isn't working, it is most likely due to the links of the pictures being in HTTP not HTTPS. When I switched pictures just stopped displaying on some "mixed" security sites, most noticeably was Gmail. If this is the case you might get a pop-up message asking about whether you want to display the content or not, in some cases you don't get the message at all. Most people will answer YES to this pop-up and then not see any pictures. Try this in IE8:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab -> click on the Internet Icon -> click Custom Level -> scroll down to "Display Mixed Content". If you choose ENABLE, IE8 will display pages with both HTTP ansd HTTPS content, if you choose DISABLE you will only see the HTTPS content, if you choose PROMPT you get the message asking you (again, most people will choose YES at the prompt and not see any pictures in their pages including me!). Typically picture files are NOT sent via HTTPS as there is no need to encrypt a picture and therefore makes no sense. The theory is that by sending it over HTTP it is faster and more efficient, however, these days with fat DSL internet connections in the home, this doesn't really matter so much... Pages such as Gmail emails will be read over HTTPS but the pictures are almost always embedded as links using HTTP therefore if you choose not to display the "insecure content" you won't see the pictures. Anyways, let me know if this works for you!

Happy Re: Images don't display in IE 8

I was having the same problem. Couldn't understand why IE 8 would not display images but Firefox did.

So everyone in this forum knows, I applied your fix and it works.

Thanks,

Mark

idea Re: Images don't display in IE 8

Quote Originally Posted by mchapma View Post
    I was having the same problem. Couldn't understand why IE 8 would not display images but Firefox did.

So everyone in this forum knows, I applied your fix and it works.

Thanks,

Mark
    Whose idea worked? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Here is what you have to:
    • Start Internet Explorer 8.
    • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, click Delete under Browsing History.
    • In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click to clear all of the check boxes except for the Temporary Internet Files check box, and then click Delete.
    • Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

I forgot to add the http:// in the path of the component where the images were used. IE8 could not find the images because this was missing on some computers. My partner also added similar code in the htaccess file:

#
    ########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.com$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.domain.com$
    RewriteRule ^/?$ "http\:\/\/natradingco\.com" [R=301,L]

If you don't understand or disagree... sais la vie.