Thread: Apple beta of Safari 4 Public and Hidden Preferences

Apple beta of Safari 4 Public and Hidden Preferences

Apple public beta of Safari 4 released. There are quite a few things changed. If you have a kind of speed-dial when you open a new tab and the tabbar moved to the title.

Apple introduces Safari 4 to begin a new engine for the processing of JavaScript. The engine has the name 'Nitro' and provides received by Apple for more than four times faster than processing JavaScript in Safari 3 was possible. Also, Safari is the Acid test, which often as indicator of browsers used, passed through.

Besides a new JavaScript engine Safari 4 also introduces a number of new features. The first in the list has the name 'Top Sites' inherited. The browser shows this view examples of websites that are most visited show in a view as we know Cover Flow from Mac OS X Leopard. This view is also used when viewing history.

Apple Safari 4 has also the location of the custom tabs. These are no longer under the title, as most browsers have, but are part of the title. Google makes the Google Chrome, for example, in this way. This space can be saved for re-viewing of web pages can be used.

And Safari 4 the possibility of full browser history search. Therefore, the Cover Flow view, but the unique opportunity to display examples of past visited websites. Safari saves a thumbnail of each website visited, and also saves all the text so that it is possible to include in the content of visited pages to search.

It also introduces Apple Safari 4 also opportunities for 'smart' search, meaning suggestions you when something is searched. This principle applied today increasingly browsers because you've found something much faster. These suggestions are also back to fill in fields, where suggestions are based on previously visited sites, bookmarks etc.

Developers with Safari 4 is not forgotten. The browser includes built-in tools for debugging Web sites to tweak and optimize. This allows the performance and compatibility of the browser view. Finally, the Windows version of the browser underway. The browser looks now more in line with other Windows programs and use the default font rendering of Windows.
    What are your thoughts and experience with this browser?

Re: Public Apple beta of Safari 4

I use it a couple hours already, load pages sometimes very fast sometimes slower. It seems also that the browser gives priorities to certain parts. When I open the homepage of apple is first loaded all the text, and graphics. The fine is that the space remains open so that the text does not scroll. My preliminary view is positive.

Experience, moreover, with the windows version should still download it on my MBP.

What I do wonder, there is now a 32-bit and 64-bit build of?

Re: Public Apple beta of Safari 4

Apple Safari has really improved. Especially on Windows, finally, the fonts are decent and also Aero on Windows Vista. He is stable and is good here fast. Perhaps it is still my default browser, because it certainly looks better than Mozilla Firefox. Apple certainly has a good look at Chrome.

Re: Public Apple beta of Safari 4 and Hidden Preferences

you can get the old tabs back by the next in the terminal to fit:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop-bool NO

I just watch out, first take the time to see if I can get used to it.

Re: Public Apple beta of Safari 4 and Hidden Preferences

Having a quick poke through the new Safari binary yields the following strings:

$ strings /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari | grep DebugSafari4
    DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop
    DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign
    DebugSafari4IncludeFancyURLCompletionList
    DebugSafari4IncludeGoogleSuggest
    DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle
    DebugSafari4IncludeFlowViewInBookmarksView
    DebugSafari4TopSitesZoomToPageAnimationDimsSnapshot
    DebugSafari4IncludeTopSites

NB: Run these commands in Terminal.app and then you need to restart Safari for them to take effect.