Thread: Import .pst files from Outlook 2000 to Vista Windows Mail

Import .pst files from Outlook 2000 to Vista Windows Mail

I exported my most current backup of emails in Outlook 2000 into a .pst file. I can't figure a way to open this pst file. Can I import this into my Windows mail in Vista so that I can access them from Windows mail?

Re: Import .pst files from Outlook 2000 to Vista Windows Mail

From what i know, Windows Mail cannot directly import e-mail messages from a .pst file created by Outlook from Microsoft Office. You need to install Microsoft Outlook, import the .pst files and then import in Windows Mail the messages from Outlook, while Outlook is installed and running.

However, Outlook is more advanced than Windows Mail and I don't think there is a reason for you to change the e-mail client.

I decided to install the Office 2007 Trial and then I can convert my PST that I made with Outlook 2000. I installed Office 2000 in Vista Ultimate, only to find that I was getting the wab.dll not found error. If I truely like what I see with 2007 I may even upgrade.

You can import the .pst into Windows Mail, but Outlook has to be installed on the Vista computer in order to do it.

Another method would be to open Outlook on your old computer, and export your messages to Outlook Express format. Copy the .dbx files to a temporary directory on the Vista computer, and import them into Windows Mail.

Windows Mail cannot import a .pst file unless Outlook is installed on the Vista computer.

You can install Outlook, copy the .pst to the Vista computer, open the .pst with Outlook, then you can import into Windows Mail.

Or, If you have Outlook installed on an XP computer, import the .pst data into Outlook Express, copy the .dbx files and .wab file to the Vista computer, and import into Windows Mail.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Outlook 2000 needs the Windows Address Book files (wab.dll), which is not found in Vista. Therefore, Outlook 2000 will usually be able to send and receive emails only in Vista, but will not be able to access an addressbook.

Outlook 2003 works fine on Vista, and so does Outlook 2007. What I did was to delete Outlook 2000 completely, EXCEPT for the .pst file. Then installed 2003, and was able to import the .pst file into 2003 without a problem. I assume 2007 will allow you to do the same thing.
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.

One should never use Outlook's .PST file Import/Export features, they are broken and have been for some time. Using them loses data and usually will corrupt the Outlook profile in use at the time. To make a backup of your .PST, close Outlook, wait a short while untill Outlook completely closes, navigate to your current .PST file and make a copy of it...no muss, no fuss, no bother, and this is a full backup. To use it later, open Outlook, go to 'File|Open|Outlook Data File' navigate to the copy, and click OK. No lost data or corrupted Outlook profiles this way.

Thank you TVWizard for making aware of this dread fact of Outlook. My outlook data is of very much important and I cannot afford to lose any of it. I will follow as per your suggestion. Thanks again.