Thread: Error: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

Error: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

Have a Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Toshiba Notebook. I keep getting the following error: Could not perform this operation because the default email client is not properly installed.

Whenever I try to follow an email link on a web page. I tried installing Outlook 2007 and Windows Mail Live, and of course I have
    Windows Mail on my computer whether I want it or not. I get the same answer no matter what client I try to use. Of course, I can get the mailto address from properties, and it works just fine if I drop this into the address line of an email.

At the moment I'm using Windows Mail Live as a client.

I have looked at some of the threads on this topic, and I must confess I don't understand what most of this is all about. However I get worries about some of the remedies causing the computer to freeze.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain in pretty simply language what is wrong, what I need to do, and how to protect my file etc if the computer locks. I have a continuous background backup to standalone harddrive, but I'd hate to have to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Re: Error: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

Have you set a default mail client in Internet Explorer Tools/Internet Options/Programs?

Re: Error: Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

I have set each of my email clients in turn as the default. And after setting it as the default, I still get the same message.

Alright I had this same problem and the fix is pretty easy. You need to do to the tools tab in IE and then to the internet options.

Then click the programs tab and at the bottom select - *-set programs-*

Then click on *-set program access and computer defaults-*

Then select custom and click on the double arrows on the far right. This will pull down a screen that has the computers current settings... The second option down should be default email program - make sure you select a specific program on the list and not just "use my current email problem" - once you start using multiple mail clients this is a common problem.

That should fix it!

Thanks Jackson, I was stupid enough because of work time constraints to pay somebody to come out and fix this issue. They could not. I found some time and did a search and found your solution, which once you know the information is very easy to do.

Thanks for sharing the information. I may not have saved money this time, but being aware now that there are helpful people out there like yourself, I look at this website in the future for any similar problems.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you to Jackson for the information provided. It worked for me. I am running Vista home premium and this error appeared after I had installed office 2007 Enterprise which I didn't like anyway and have uninstalled. (far too controlling Mr. Gates if that's not too controversal). Thanks again.
    Last edited by Shackman; 19-03-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake