Thread: Is Foldershare.com a P2P?

Is Foldershare.com a P2P?

I have been using foldershare.com which is a new service from MS for a while I am using foldershare.com from quite a time now. Its a new software by Microsoft. Its a great service that allows me to synchronize my PC with my office one. It also makes me possible to connect to my office PC from home and then I can download some documents from that office PC.

But now, we the members of our office have started getting mails from our officer that whoever using a P2P service in the office should stop using it. So I just want to know whether foldershare.com is a P2P service or what? If yes, then I can assume that the mail is meant for me.

As far as I have known about foldershare program, it does not require file sharing bandwidth as much. As is quoted by the site itself:
    Securely share as many files as you desire because FolderShare has no file size limitations or bandwidth quotas.
    So I dont think theres a problem for you using this program in your office computer.

Foldershare is actually an illegal method of sharing. But then, it uses secure P2P connection and as Glenny said, it doesn't enforce any considerable extra load on the network. So I dont think using this for sync. should have any problems in your office.

Oh, ok. Thanks for those information.

Using P2P programs are sometimes restricted at some places. Although foldershare may not be using much of the network resources, but still such programs get noticed on the network and are therefore not allowed. If the matter is only for synchronizing your PCs, you can use memstick.