Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: wats the future java or .net...??

Arrow wats the future java or .net...??

what in ur opinion is the future...java technologies or .net.
    Do give reasons to your choice.

Retesh....

mlnunes Guest
    Both have great futures...
    both being backed by big companies...

but if you want me to pick one, i'll go for .net
    simply because we know to what extent microsoft can go to popularizing this platform. It will be impossible to think future without .net

nopes...

u can think of future without .net...thats wat i feel......dotnet restricts u to MS technologies and environment only and licence fee of .net is like getting kohinoor diamond(Rs 50000 licence fee per computer+ 3500 s/w fee per computer)...and more over java is more robust...and nothing can beat platform independence by java...!!

so i feel if u r looking for a robust and multi platform application ...JAVA is the language to go for....but if u r looking for rapid development and only and only for MS PC's the ofcpurce .net...

Retesh...

I believe Java will gain more on client desktops as Linux becomes more widely adopted as a client platform. While Java will gain some ground I'm doubt they will take over the Windows plateform.

"Java is the most mature and stable platform for enterprise computing available today. Microsoft is still spinning .Net, and it might eventually be as good or better than Java (but only on the Windows platform); right now, it's not."

very true....!!
    tell me some thing....i want to develop a news site....wat platform shd i choose...jsp or .net.....i hve done a bit of research.....max news sites r in jsp.....that is java technologies....with .net....my company will hve to spend huge for hardware and for s/w.....keeping all this in mind....i think JSP shd be used....any siggestions...

If you can give some more details, about your news site, I might be able to give you solutions based on my experience

1. What exactly you want to make up (news site) give me some example websites currently runinng

2. That solely wont matter what technologies other sites are using, its going to be your likes/dislikes on the platform you want to choose.
    taking into consideration, the ease of development with those technologies.

3. Not sure why your company will be spending huge amounts on hardware.
    In terms of hosting (dedicated server) or for development process (Software Purchase, installation) etc.

4. If you company wants to go for only a webbased information site/protal. Not integrating client side products etc. (like addition of messengers, or some client tools).
    Then there is not much cost involved into this.

Sandy..

ThumbsUp

well it doesnt end with just the front end. If you go for asp,think of the other s/w u would have to take with it .
    - firstly windows! (....read - licence costs)
    - you defintely need a backend ... again access is the runninf contender if u go for MS
    - then the sever -> IIS setup or MS biz server ..not sure of all but theyre very restricted to work with entirely MS setup.
    - then u have the various other flavours u get, from MS for each and evey thing u can think of,whether u need it or not.

Where as, if you go afor java, u have more options open.
    -sure u can for an access backend,but ever heard of MySQL,the open source DB which u just have to download . no restriction on the OS ,big plus!
    - the server could be apache / tomcat (my choice) which has jsp compatability and very efficient for a customized setup.(u can download them as well,apache and tomcat are the worlds numero uno choice when it comes to servers)
    -so ther u hav a cost effective,efficient option if you go for java and jsp which may not be well known enuff !

And just because ur working on open source systems,doesnt mean that ur any less deprived of features ,as the world is coming to understand.

The hosting solutions for jsp although much lesser available than asp ,but theyre still out there.

later...

PS:i just did a project with jsp on tomcat server with MySQL for a message board for an intranet.took time to customize and configure,but works well .
    Last edited by bosky101; 26-07-2004 at 01:08 AM.
    Keep Clicking,
    Bosky

On .NET you can almost program every frigging programming-language that exists, while on Java, you only can program... right Java.

But anyway, this does not means that we're forced to use windows, cause you can develop and run .NET programs on linux soon, thanks to the mono-project. At the other hand more and more OpenSource software is gaining ground (OpenOffice, FireFox, Mozilla and others) so i do really not see the problem here.

One thing is for sure... Java is here to stay. .NET is here to stay

mlnunes Guest
    Exactly my point...
    Some of you think that .NET will be restricted to windows, but the truth is far beyond that. Microsoft developed .NET with platform independence in mind. The only thing required for your code to run on other platforms is the framework.
    Whenever a framework becomes available for Linux or other platforms, the same .NET will run on multiple platforms without any change.

KingKrool Guest
    .NET on Linux = Mono
    but the project is anywhere near complete.
    Anyway .NET definition has changed a lot, earlier it had ore to do with palladium but that was a big bust obviously.
    Still, knowing MS I don't think they will ever be able to come up with a language or compiler which is as stable as JAVA. In anycase all said and done .NET is supposed to be "secure", but the truth is unlike JAVA which forces u to operate in a sandbox, .NET doesn' require u to, so basically security goes to hell

Venkat Guest
    As said earlier both are here to stay..
    Both are equally balanced..I mean they are used equally.Almost all the majors use both.

till now there has been a mixed reaction...ie: java and .net 50-50...!!
    but arent we confining ourselves to linux and MS o/s only...wat abt Apple...and others...i hve a few applications like online video streaming which at present r working on MS media player....now i want my online streaming to work every o/s
    ...so i feel i am left with java...!!
    Personally i want java implementation....but then before shifting from ASP to any other laguange i want to hve a full analysis...no hasty decisions...!!
    as mentioned earlier majority of sites r in jsp.

Plz help me in choosing a better language.....if possible plz specify something abt your projects in .net or jsp........and their performance...!!

Thanks...

Retesh...

I had already replied asking you few more questions.
    What exactly are you planning to implement, unless you answer those questions or give us more details, its very hard to answer your questions or help you choose.
    as mentioned earlier majority of sites r in jsp.
    i dont agree with this point at all..
    Portals/Sites run on each platform depending on there needs, like Tech-Arena runs on php coz of the forums software script and few more integrations, second it php+mysql on apache (linux) gives us low costs compared to MS Hostings.

Questions that are unanswered from Ritesh (the person who posted this thread):-
    1. What project is this?
    2. Is it for your company (in house application) or a project to get business (application service provider)?
    3. What size of data expected?
    4. How many maximum people do u forsee hitting the site at one point of time?

Now please understand that both MS .NET & JAVA are both great, but there is a clear distinction amongst the two depending on what type of work you're looking at.

If it is a small inhouse project, u can chuck out both of them, and simple go for a small ASP/SQL SERVER design.
    If it is a medium sized project, inhouse, or for a 'not so time dependent' work, .NET is good, since its easier to modify and maintain.
    But if you're looking at hi-end work, JAVA holds the key to robust software.

the future is definitely java particularly because of its compatibility over different workstations and specificly linux.
    as the saying goes-' the future is open'.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast