Thread: [help] how to protect a program or create a serial number

[help] how to protect a program or create a serial number

hello guys,..
    I need your help.
    I've already developed a program for medical using visual basic 6.0.
    It's complete now, but I don't know how to create a serial number for my program. (I mind if user can copy this program and run that in another computer). Do you have any solutions for me? like how to create a register/EULA or etc.

thanks for helping me..

Re: [help] how to protect a program or create a serial number

Hi sporty,

I am not very sure how much security you want. But simple example i can give you is use the hash function concept for creating the serial number.

If you are aware of Hash function and Hash key then it is very easy for you to understand it. It is a way to search the value in the present set of values.

In your case you can use the following things.
    1) Fix the length of the serial numnber you want to keep for ur s/w
    2) say for example you fix for 6
    3) Now for our complexity we will split this word in parts like 2 + 1 + 2 + 1
    4) first 2 numbers will plain numbers and next digit will be MOD 8 function of those and same for the next pair.

e.g. consider the number 67 and 98 now we will generate the serial number like this
    1) 67 so the MOD 8 will be 67/8 = 8 and remainder 3 so the answer is 3
    2) 98 so the mod 8 will be 98/8 = 12 and reminder is 2 so answer is 2
    3) now create the serial number as 67 + 3 + 98 + 2
    4) so the serial number will be 673982
    5) this is valid as per our logic.

Whenever user enters the serial number we will split that in parts like 2+ 1+ 2 + 1 and then check it against the mod8 logic that we have developed..

This is the simplest logic developed. You can increase the complexity and parts as well the hash function. and create a secure key. But make sure that the number is unique .

let me know if you want any more help.

Re: [help] how to protect a program or create a serial number

thanks vikrant, you are a kind person thanks for the suggestion.

what I mean about to create a serial number is how we use a technic to protect our software from free to secure.
    I hear from my friends, that maybe we can use a tool to get some hardware ID number (ex : processor ID, mainboard ID, etc) and then we use the ID to encript a serial number. Do you have a script to get the id number? like from API or C++

if we get the ID number, then maybe we can create a formula like U tell me before, and I will use that for cross checking. If user input a correct number then they can continue to install the software.

do u have an idea? thanks before.

Quote Originally Posted by vikrant
    Hi sporty,

I am not very sure how much security you want. But simple example i can give you is use the hash function concept for creating the serial number.

If you are aware of Hash function and Hash key then it is very easy for you to understand it. It is a way to search the value in the present set of values.

In your case you can use the following things.
    1) Fix the length of the serial numnber you want to keep for ur s/w
    2) say for example you fix for 6
    3) Now for our complexity we will split this word in parts like 2 + 1 + 2 + 1
    4) first 2 numbers will plain numbers and next digit will be MOD 8 function of those and same for the next pair.

e.g. consider the number 67 and 98 now we will generate the serial number like this
    1) 67 so the MOD 8 will be 67/8 = 8 and remainder 3 so the answer is 3
    2) 98 so the mod 8 will be 98/8 = 12 and reminder is 2 so answer is 2
    3) now create the serial number as 67 + 3 + 98 + 2
    4) so the serial number will be 673982
    5) this is valid as per our logic.

Whenever user enters the serial number we will split that in parts like 2+ 1+ 2 + 1 and then check it against the mod8 logic that we have developed..

This is the simplest logic developed. You can increase the complexity and parts as well the hash function. and create a secure key. But make sure that the number is unique .

let me know if you want any more help.