Thread: Looking for some excellent books on best coding practices

Looking for some excellent books on best coding practices

I am looking for some excellent resources on best coding practices. I had just started my course in Software Engineering. I had found that it is very important to carry a good coding practice from start itself. Or else in future there can be issue with unconventional methods. Can anyone here guide me about the same. Which books are available on the same. I am not really specific about any language, but want to go with ample of different books to enhance my knowledge. I hope there will be someone to offer me good suggestions.

Re: Looking for some excellent books on best coding practices

It is the base of development. If the written codes are not proper or buggy then you will land into number of different issue later on. A good coding practice here can help you to improve the quality of application you are building and also later on it is easy to troubleshoot the same. Now there is no single thing here. There are ample of different processes and it is necessary that you must first understand them. Try to go on web and collect resources on it instead of relying on single book.

I am engaged with Perl programming. The book that I had gone through some time ago is Perl Best Practices by Damian Conway. It is a nice book for those who are working in Perl and want to pursue their career on the same. The book gives ample of information on writing out the best code and following proper habits. Because it happen ample of time you get cluttered with many stuff while working on a new project. This not only delays your work but also affect your other work. Another book I saw on Google is Code craft: the practice of writing excellent code by P. Goodliffe. It is not just a book but an comprehensive guide that can help you to learn about icing on the cake. You will understand ample of new things here. You can find out the tips for presenting your software, handling errors and also managing application security. So it can be a good beginners choice. If you want some information on the content of this book the you can go on Google Books and check out a preview edition. This will give you more better idea about what I am talking about. Different set of standards are prescribed by Industrial Expert to get an event type of work. What matters the most is here is analyzing the application bug which is generated after code appeared. A proper troubleshooting is also very important here.

Check for C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices by Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu. It is a nice book for those who want to have stro0n1g base in C++. The book covers many new concept of writing a proper code without messing your other work. You can checkout some of the best practice from the same.

There are ample of book available on the web. You can just choose the one depending on your area of specialty. Like Pro .NET Best Practices or Ruby Best Practices. Each of them defines a different set of methods that would be used for programming better application. Along with you must also test out some standard process which will help you in developing more better applications in a bug free environment. Here best coding practices just does not includes the way you write the code, but it consist of more analysis here. You have to write the code in set of certain rules or in some patterns so that if some issue occur you can simply locate that instantly and get rid out of the same. The same is applicable for changes also. Ample of time you have to make modification in the software and for that rewriting the entire code is waste of time and money. It is essential that you must simply write a simple script organized well so that only few things needs to be modified. This also needs a lot of patience. You cannot just jump out on some method and start applying it. You can test a set of different process here and apply the one which fits you well.

Best Coding Practice also includes writing a simple and clean code which is easy to understand. That is why it is necessary that you must keep on leaving comments in between. That will guide other people who are working on the same codes. Keeping things plain and simple is quiet required here.

There are many things you can keep in mind while writing a code. Like you can simply group the codes whenever needed to avoid a messy layout. There are ample of thing needed to be take care while doing the same. Like when you organizing the folder and file you have to do that in more better way. Some books that can be helpful here is Practical Guidelines and Best Practices for Microsoft Visual Basic and Visual C# Developers by Francesco Balena, Giuseppe Dimauro. The book offers really some expert tips on information anyone looking for writing clean code. I had referred to book a number of times and find it really helpful. Another one is Code Complete 2nd Edition. I am not able to find this book on web, but this is another helpful book in understanding the simple concept of writing proper codes. Depending on the different programming language you can go with different books. So just try to find the most helpful in your area of interest.

I am giving you a link below that offers you nice coding techniques on clean codes. The link below has more references to understand well about coding practice here. It is great for both beginner and advance users and I think that will be really helpful.
    Coding Techniques and Programming Practices