Thread: How to create a simple widget for Android Devices

How to create a simple widget for Android Devices

I want some guideline is creating a simple widget for Android platform. I am having some projects here. Where I want to create widget for web pages, movie player and ebooks. I know nothing about android, but had worked a bit on Java. I had seen some video tutorial also. I am eager to learn android development here. So it would be great to begin a simple widget. First I do not want to get into coding stuff. If there is any ready to use software that that would help. But if I have to write the code for it then which is the most simplest way to find the complete widget code.

Re: How to create a simple widget for Android Devices

I will recommend you to go on developer.android.com and look for the complete android development guide. Here you can learn and understand how to create application and widgets for Android platform. I will not advice you to go with ready to use tools. Because there can be bug in that and you can face problem with the same. Just go on the website that I had mentioned and download the complete guide. I am sure that will be more than enough for you to get the right detail which you are looking for.

There are various type of widgets used in Android. What kind of you are trying to make. There are widgets like information, collection, control and Hybrid. Each of them are classified separate. For web pages you can stick with bookmarks. Because that would be easier. After determining the type of widget, you have to work with the behavior and customization options. Like Gestures control, navigation, re-sizing, etc. I am giving you a link below that define in detail about widget pattern. Just refer it.

Widget Pattern

You can begin with the design. Before just collect some information on how android works. What are the coding elements used in that. It will guide you in more proper way. A widget in android is based on three components. They are bounding box, a frame and the controls. Later on comes other elements that add more customization or control to the widget. Additional supports controls which are used is text label, buttons and additional images to make it more attractive.

Just check the below link. It is a complete guide in creating the widget for Android. It include everything in it with sample code. I am too learning android and I am right-now on the widget creation section. Widgets are important for many applications as it allows you to keep them on the home screen compare to applications. They are mostly a part of customization. And it is easy to create also. I am working on the first widget here. I hope I can create the same using sample code in the guide below

App Widget Design Guidelines

You can try Widget Maker. This tiny app is available for free on Google Play. You can use this to create your own widgets. I do not think it will help you on development. But it can help you to create your own widget easily. You can simply try this out. It is not completely free. It is a demo application that you can simply use to create a customized widget by merging several others. It has a simple interface and I think for start this app will be great to find the structure of what you want to create.

There is one more tool that is dedicated for widget design in Android. It is called as BITS. It is a kind of simply tool that allows you to design app instantly. I had not tested it, but I think it is the only widget creator available. There are very few ready to use software available for android devices.

The app allows you to configure the widget, and modify the size and other components in it. It is lot more easier compare to other things that I found on the web.

Try Widgetsoid if you are looking for a free widget app. This app is available for android. Whatever apps mentioned above does not allow you to develop a android widget. But through them you can customize the existing one.

The user on the top is asking is creating a widget from scratch. That means by writing the code or by using a ready to use android software development application. While the tools that are mentioned above just allow you to resize, move or modify any current application.