Thread: Looking for information on Linux Process

Looking for information on Linux Process

I want to find information on each and every process in Linux. I am unable to find any tool that can give me detail information on the same. I started learning Linux and going for advance courses. Where I want to understand each and every process of Linux. I am having a book, but I am unable to locate the exact information. Instead of going with manual coding I am looking for a process or kind of ready to use tool that can collect detail information on every process and post in on the screen.

Re: Looking for information on Linux Process

There is not a single process. You have to understand everything properly or else you will be confused later on. The process in Linux is usually represented by task_struct. The default entries that are visible is 512. Whenever a new process is created a new task_struct is allocated. It is done from the system memory. Linux basically supports real time process. This process are react to the external event. I can giving you the list of process. You can simply go on web and collect detail information on them. They are State, Running, Waiting, Stopped, Zombie, Scheduling Information, Identifiers, Inter-Process Communication, Links, etc.

You will need a task manager kind of tool that can give you information on the current project. Every process in Linux is usually identified on the basis of Process ID. This is unique for each task. This are usually 16bit number are assigned to the task in sequential manner. So if you can find a tool or you can simply find process id you can on that basis locate the process and work ahead. This is one of the best way to find out detail information on all task which are active in your system.

The same is also called as process descriptor. This has information on the current process of memory. I think you can find a information on the same more easily. There are tools available on the web that gives you the PID of Linux processes and on that basis you can find out what they are. There are ample of website on web that give you a detail information on the current process. But if still you want to find the same on your own you can type the following command in terminal : # ps aux | less.

The ps command here can help you for that and I do not think you require any task manager software for that. You can on the basis of ps command find all the current process of your system. If you type ps -ef it will list you each process with complete format in your terminal. While if you use ps ax then it will give you the result with status code. I am sure that would be much more helpful to some extent. But if you find this complicated you can go with third party software.