Thread: Good Resources for Android Development

Good Resources for Android Development

I am interested in developing apps for Android platform and especially games. I have a good knowledge about programming languages like C, C++ and Java. First I wanted to learn to make the basic softwares after which I will continue to make higher level of apps. But one problem I am facing is that I don’t have much knowledge about creating apps for Android. I wanted to know what resources will be required for developing Android apps. Can someone who has knowledge about development of Android app tell me about it?

Re: Good Resources for Android Development

The first thing I will tell you that is needed for developing an Android app is knowledge about it. You will need to learn the languages that are needed to code the apps for the Android. Since you have mentioned that you know programming languages like C, C++ and Java, I can tell you that you might find it somewhat comfortable as most of the apps for Android are developed using Java. You will need to refer books about Android app development to know the fundamentals of the apps that are developed for Android, read the documentation to know how the apps work in Android. You will also need to refer sample codes that will show you how an app is coded and constructed. So I suggest you to start from learning about Android app development for the start.

You don’t just jump on the development of app just because you know some programming languages. Since you are new to the Android app development, I suggest you to get in contact with some professional Android developers. You can ask them for suggestions and get to know how things work in a professional Android app development company. You cannot just go on coding to make a game or app. You need to have a workflow or a pipeline which you will need to follow. Don’t just contact a single developer, you must contact multiple developers, so that you can choose from different ways for developing and app.

Once you start developing you will encounter many problems which will stop your work. Some of these problems might be the common ones; some might be one which no one had ever encountered. So you must be ready for all of them and must know ways to encounter them. Make a collection of websites which provide tips on development of Android apps. They will provide you with details of the errors and the cause of them and ways to tackle them. You must regularly visit these websites to know about the problems faced by other users as you too might face some of them once in a while. Also if you encounter some problem, you must contribute your thoughts, solutions and tips on these websites. They might help some other developer in future.

You need to plan out the app and it’s working. You must have all the graphical components and the logos ready for use. If not then you must know some softwares like Photoshop or Coral draw using which you can develop your own graphical components for your app. Also you must know which SDK or APIs to use when developing Android app. As we see that almost every week there is some new development in Android. Someone develops a completely new kind of app or someone brings out new updates. So you have to keep in touch with these developments. The development tools must be flexible enough to provide you control over different types of hardware that is used in devices supporting Android operating system.

You must have some knowledge about the hardware too, especially the one used in portable devices working on Android operating system. If you are developing and utility for Android, then it might happen that it might need to work along with certain hardware. So you must know very well which hardware is needed for your app and you must have good knowledge about it. Also in today’s market there are so many devices available for Android operating system, you will need to have good knowledge about them. Also you must know the operation or some extra features about the devices that are available.

Compiler that you use for rendering the final output of the Android app also plays a big role. With a big competition for development of Android app is going on, you will need to develop an app within shortest time possible. It shouldn’t happen that you start developing an app and keep developing till the day the concept becomes old. So the compiler you use must be such that it will save your time, give proper utilization of resources and also gives a good output. So it is recommended that you have to choose a compiler wisely. It will be better if you have more than one compiler ready for use. Many times it happens that some module may not be rendered by a compiler efficiently or in way you need. So you can use another compiler for the module.

Portability is an big thing you need to do for Android apps. When the Android first came in market, it was just limited up to the smartphones. The size of the screens of these smartphones ranged from 3 inches to 4 inches. But now we have seen that many tablets and other devices have come out in market which uses Android operating system. So after developing an app, you need to port it between different devices so that it matches the screen size and other hardware specifications. There are different types of processors and GPUs in these tablets. So your app should be ported for maximum of these tablets. For better scope of your app, you must make it available for many devices available in market. You don’t just have to change screen size, but also need to match the hardware specifications.

Hi,

I developed my Android application with an SDK and Adobe Flash Builder. I used the followings that has code snippets that handle the physical buttons and the rotation features of the mobile devices (voip-sip-sdk.com/p_456-voip-android-integration-voip.html). Hope it will also help you to develop your own appliaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketter22 View Post
    Hi,

I developed my Android application with an SDK and Adobe Flash Builder. I used the followings that has code snippets that handle the physical buttons and the rotation features of the mobile devices (voip-sip-sdk.com/p_456-voip-android-integration-voip.html). Hope it will also help you to develop your own appliaction.
    What is the prerequisite required to develop android applications? Do we need to have a good computer specifications so that the development of the applications go at ease? Can you please provide a step by step guide on how to create different applications and games of android? Thanks for any information.