Thread: Exporting or importing global variables from a DLL to an EXE

Exporting or importing global variables from a DLL to an EXE

hey guys, i have a very short question. As the title says, i wanted to know about exporting or importing global variables from a DLL to an EXE. Is it possible to share global variable between dll and exe? Any comments to meet my requirement will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Exporting or importing global variables from a DLL to an EXE

Yes it is possible to share global variable between DLLs and exe fil. We know that, one can implement global variables by using programming languages such as C and C++. Hence you need write a code to achieve it. normally global variable is declared and implemented outside of the functions. However this particular variable exist inside the same scope into the single program. I let you know that

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Fruax View Post
    Yes it is possible to share global variable between DLLs and exe fil. We know that, one can implement global variables by using programming languages such as C and C++. Hence you need write a code to achieve it. normally global variable is declared and implemented outside of the functions. However this particular variable exist inside the same scope into the single program. I let you know that
    Well I think you are correct. It is normal practice, to create a function and passing appropriate value so that function which you had declared and defined could give , proper results. If you are not so familiar then I recommend to create a Com object. Once you had done the same, simply defined properties and functions for it.

Even you can do the same thing with class as well. you can use dllexport to export class to dll or function. To get better results you should take care of the thing that exe and dll are running into single process. However if needed you can simply place class to other dll file as well. if you are using C language then I recommend to do following steps.

First of C wrapper API. After that use following Win32 API functions.
    • GetModuleHandle()
    • GetProcAddress()

Now you should create proxy class into DLL which will call variable from exe to dll.

There are huge differences between external and exported variables. External variables are available in programming era from the days of C programming language. In simple terms we can say exported variables are extensions of Windows OS.

I would recommend that one should make use of thread local storage. In my opinion file paths would not work particularly I am saying about global variables. API should be used to pass data to the function. To avoid issues, you should not use directly from memory. Why I am saying, the thing global variable can be accessed by any part of the program. So global variable and programming language like VB might be using same DLL, hence some sync should be done between the same.

As far as I know global variable should be set to single process. Normally it is initialized to every single module of the program. If you are using C++, then you will get the requirement of yours by using __declspec and __declspec. After that you will be able to export or import file through dll and exe.