Thread: client pc to subserver

client pc to subserver

In my office there are 200+ pcs connected to server. To my particular area of work there are 10 pcs in my room.

I made a HTML page with some important links pertaining to the dealing work. Now, I want to make available this to the remaining 9 pcs. Is it possible ?

My PC is running on Windows XP and with 512 MB RAM.

Pls provide detailed procedure to turn my client pc to Sub Server for the 9 pcs in my room. Is it required administrator permission, or can I make of my own ?

Re: client pc to subserver

Well, if your pc and other pc's are already connected to a main server then why dont you copy the file in the main server itself and let other users to copy that from the same. With 512mb of ram it wont be possible to make your computer as a server. And if you want to make your computer as a sub server in a domain already then you will have to get special permissions for allowing users to connect to your pc.

Thank you Elbanco for your reply

Dear Elbanco

The HTML page which I made is useless for all the remaining users of 200 pcs. Only 10 pcs required that data. I will extend the RAM ? What are the requirements for making sub server ? Pls specify in detail

There are some ways for that. First if you are working on Windows Server then there are two ways you can use. First you can create a group of people from Active directory who will be allowed to receive those files. Second you can create a separate domain on Windows server and allow access to only those users who you want to give files.

The last way you can do is, is by using a virtualization software. It is possible to create an server inside server by using tool like Vmware. That will need more better hardware with processor that must support virtualization technology.

Dear Lemog,

My OS is Windows XP. As per your post, now I have to first change OS and then hopefully your second and last suggestions are more comfortable to turn my PC as subserver.

Can you pls supply more information to follow. What is VMWare and what are the specifications required to install it and do further exercise after installation. pls provide Notes sir.

Vmware is an virtualization technology that allows you to run more than once operating system inside an existing setup. For example in Windows by using Vmware you can run Windows 7, Linux etc. Same lies for server setup. You can run more than one server on single pc. There are some version free for this and some are paid.

The requirement to use this, is an cpu that support virtualization technology. In many new system, in the bios itself you can see settings to enable Virtualization. A good amount ram and thats all.

You can run around 32GB of virtual ram with 1TB of virtual space in this. Do not forget to keep a backup of your files very important.

Download Vmware