Thread: Write a COM object in C++ .NET programming

Write a COM object in C++ .NET programming

Hi, I’m searching for the com technology which is provided by the Microsoft. I’m just new to com. And I was searching for how to write a small com object which can be used to wrap an function which had being written in com. Visual studio usually do this but I don’t know how to do this in .net. I know how to do that in VS6.0 but I don’t know how to do the thing in .net language. Please help me regarding this as I’m bit confused regarding this.

Re: Write a COM object in C++ .NET programming

In com the word server is just different form the client as the code which had being used in the com is called as a client com it is just little bit that should be done with the web server and the com server usually describe about the component of an com. You can even use the com with the script using the script table which can be done by the I Dispatch interface. You can even search an tutorial for it from the Microsoft site.

I had search for the tutorial from the Microsoft site. I had even use the 2008 express edition I don’t need an atl project to run the atl header file. And it has all the type of framework but I need the express edition as I don’t need it. And I don’t know much about the free active x and what type of file they consist. I want to know how to make an active com object in 2008 express. Please suggest me how can be done as I’m not getting it on the net.

You can easily create a com server in CPP. It’s not so though just you need to follow few steps 1st you need to use the IDL language for the com server through the file then you just need to compile *idl file with the MIDL.exe which will Create the file for the com server know as cpp. And *.h which has being created will go to the client com which is the client of com server and take look for how to use the MIDL.exe file and compile it.

You can even implement the interfaces of the com through the server for that you must be use to com. After that you need to create a dll which are hosting the com dll which need some standard method so that at runtime you can interact with it which is DllGetClassObject(). To export this you need a *.def file. After you had create a dll you have to create a registry for it and you need this registry key to run the com server

You also need to initialize the runtime of an com server through the reference of com api which is an CoGetClassObject(). You must know the difference between the com object and the server. You can even use visual basic but it is little bit thought but I don’t know how to do that in the visual basic I think it might be compiled by making use of modern IDE. There are many other simple steps you may get it in the tutorial which you will get it in the Microsoft website.