Thread: In wwwroot folder the URL Rewrite is not working

In wwwroot folder the URL Rewrite is not working

I had created a URL Rewrite module by following the steps from the internet on-line. I had used asp.net 2.0 and my web web.config code is given below:
    <httpModules>
    <add name="RewriteModule" type="URLRewrite.RewriteModule, URLRewrite"/>
    </httpModules>
    I found that this method was not working for me when I try to deploy the code on wwwroot of my host website. Can anyone guide me for this? What I am I missing? or the thing is that, URL Rewrite is not possible without virtual directory.

Re: In wwwroot folder the URL Rewrite is not working

By default, the URL rewriting is not supported by the IIS Servers, you have to use the third party tool to do so.
    Firstly, from the official website you need to download and install IIRF v2.0+ package. From the bin folder copy the iirf.dll file and paste it to the location on your server. It could be of any directory that is according to your server. Now make an iirgGlobal.ini file. After that, the folder where you had extracted the iirf.dll files, and create a new text file by right clicking on the folder. Just leave the text file empty. Make sure that you have given some users the permissions to read and execute the ini and dll file. To check for the permissions go to file and then right click and select properties – security tab. Click on Advance and you will find the permissions list. Make sure that in the effective permissions, select the files of List folders/read data. Make the changes for both the IIrf.dll and IIrf.ini.

To configure IIRF for separate websites of yours, then go to IIS Manager to do so, run the %systemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\iis.msc. Make the server node expanded and choose the website you want from left. You will find some icons on the MMC window which is named “ISAPI Filters” double click on it. Click on Add in the Action pane. You will get the path of the Filter DLL and the filter name. in the name field type IIRF and in the path type the DLL file path and then click on OK.

It seems that you need to combine the rights of the Share and NTFS together. And always only the highly restricted one wins. This means that if you try to give the full Access permissions to the NTFS and only read permission to the Share, then user will have the only reading Permission. I have seen many Administrators that they lock the NTFS and give full permission to the Share level. It is up to you to decide whether you give the permission to other users to view the other users file or not.

Always follow the rewrite rule for creating it:
    Use the URL Rewrite UI in the IIS Manager to create the Rewrite rule. Open the IIS Manager and from the left pane select the Default Web Site. It will open the new window, from it select the URL Rewrite. In the right hand side of the window select the Add Rules option, select the Blank Rule from it and click on OK. In the URL Rewrite Module, define the actual rewrite module.